Garden power regulations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OSG is irrelevant and does not form part of the requirements of BS 7671, it is merely a guide to this document.

Your reference in the OSG does NOT limit the use of BS 1363 socket outlet ring final circuits to domestic and similar, to gives advice on the limits that are recommended in such places.
These limits do not exist outside domestic or similar premises.
I refer you to the Preface i the OSG
View attachment 13120
Which goes on into the introduction to state the following:
View attachment 13121

Therefore, it does not propose to cover large industrial or commercial installations, and whilst it does have smaller variations of such locations in scope, it does not anywhere limit what can be done in industrial locations.
If you read the wording, it does not preclude BS 1363 accessories in industrial, nor does it limit the floor area in them, it limits the floor area in domestic and similar, which is a carryover from the earlier editions of the IEE Wiring Regulations where domestic premises had floor area limits, and larger/industrial premises did not.
Since it clearly states in 1.1 (b) above that it does apply. Define a small or large installation. Since I worked in some large installations and they all use BS4343 outlets, not 13A outlets (i.e. Weetabix & Pedigree Petfoods in Melton Mowbray) and they are large sites. I think you are just trying to wiggle out of bad practices

Since it clearly states in 1.1 (b) above that it does apply. Define a small or large installation. Since I worked in some large installations and they all use BS4343 outlets, not 13A outlets (i.e. Weetabix & Pedigree Petfoods in Melton Mowbray) and they are large sites. I think you are just trying to wiggle out of bad practices
1.1b says, small industrial.
Also, it’s a guide.
There is no reason why BS1363 sockets cannot be utilised in an industrial environment.
Like you, I have worked for large corporates too.
I have also held positions of responsibility and I have used the deviations box on an EIC when I have used my own design.
But I don’t consider it a deviation to use BS 1363 accessories in an industrial environment.

The Regs and OSG do not state anywhere that it only for domestic installations. It applies to all final ring circuits with socket to BS1363, whether in Domestic, Office, Commercial, or in an Industrial office (a VERY small office). If you need a 13A socket outlet for a computer in a factory. There is nothing stopping you installing a single twin-socket on a 16A MCB radial just for that. However, it much better on a fused spur connection unit. What you cannot do is install a final ring circuit with multiple outlets to BS1363 in the factories for general use.
so finally you are admitting you can use a Bs1363 sockets in a factory :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The OSG is part of the regulations, as it tell you how to comply. And in turn the IET Regs tell how to comply with the EAWR Regs. It a fulse presumption the IET Reg only for domestic use. Industrial power distribution systems MUST comply also. Only 'Charted Electrical Engineers' whom a member of the IET council can overrule the Regs, and then there has to be a shit load of paperwork to accompany alteration. The Regs and OSG do not state anywhere that it only for domestic installations. It applies to all final ring circuits with socket to BS1363, whether in Domestic, Office, Commercial, or in an Industrial office (a VERY small office). If you need a 13A socket outlet for a computer in a factory. There is nothing stopping you installing a single twin-socket on a 16A MCB radial just for that. However, it much better on a fused spur connection unit. What you cannot do is install a final ring circuit with multiple outlets to BS1363 in the factories for general use.

I'm afraid my wooden headed friend, the IET Regs do apply in factories. Also, why are people plugging in Toasters or Kettles in a factory work environment. Food & drink should be consumed in a proper location set aside for breaks where there hand washing facilities. On H&S hygiene grounds alone food and drink should not be consumed in a factory. Or maybe you just don't understand the difference between the terms Factory, Office, or Canteen? If so, what type of sweatshop do you work in?
Can I ask you to explain which part of this clause which defines ring circuits for BS 1363 accessories in BS 7671 precludes their use in factories?
1642415139954.png