Generator linked to pv battery array

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerguy

Reaction score
Hi all I have a 5kw diesel generator that I’m hoping to link to my solar battery array to charge up in winter . My battery pack is 775ah 48 2v forklift batteries . Now maybe I have to change the generator ignition to a auto start type . But noticed the generator says 20.8amps , does this mean that having it run for 5 hours would put 100 amp into the battery or do I have my sums wrong . Is it worth while using a generator..? The inverter I’m getting installed is a 8.8kw sunsykn and I noticed it has a gen port . I thought the generator would be closer a 100 amp hour input , anyone clear this up please

Hi all I have a 5kw diesel generator that I’m hoping to link to my solar battery array to charge up in winter . My battery pack is 775ah 48 2v forklift batteries . Now maybe I have to change the generator ignition to a auto start type . But noticed the generator says 20.8amps , does this mean that having it run for 5 hours would put 100 amp into the battery or do I have my sums wrong . Is it worth while using a generator..? The inverter I’m getting installed is a 8.8kw sunsykn and I noticed it has a gen port . I thought the generator would be closer a 100 amp hour input , anyone clear this up please
Rough numbers is 4 amps per kw, so 5 kw is 20 amps.

Running a 5kW generator for 1 hour would supply 5kWh.
In 5 hours it would supply 25kWh.
"My battery pack is 775ah 48 2v forklift batteries "
Is that a pack of 2V cells that make 775Ah at 48V ?
So 37.2kW ?
Then about 6 to 7 hours to charge from 10 to a 100 percent.

Latest posts