Getting My Niceic Domestic Installer Status

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amateursparky

Reaction score
My dad is a landlord of two domestic properties. I want to gain my domestic installer status with niceic so that I

can do electrics for my dad. I'm sick of him having a go at me for not doing what he wants me to do. Even though

it's ILLEGAL. Bloody Part P building regulations I hate you!

I thinking of getting this following tester

http://isswww.co.uk/...Megger-MFT1720/

it's quite expensive though, The MFT1710 is alot cheaper so am unsure which I should go for. Hopefully as soon as

I get a job and do my NVQ I'll do commericial as well. I was thinking this is a good all rounder for both scernarios yes? The 1730 is more for busy contractors/ people who do TT systems.

I have edited out the rather long link because it showed every item on the google page.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for canoeboy,

give the guy a ring, he will sell you what you NEED, rather than what gives him the big mark up or you like because its shiney.

if you only do occasional testing on domestic then something a lot more basic may well do you, you may not need all the auto functions that makes continual testing a lot faster/easier,

remember, some guys here may do in excess of 100 different test procedures in a day so auto functions make life that little bit easier.

My dad is a landlord of two domestic properties. I want to gain my domestic installer status with niceic so that I

can do electrics for my dad. I'm sick of him having a go at me for not doing what he wants me to do. Even though

it's ILLEGAL. Bloody Part P building regulations I hate you!
It is not illegal, it may be more expensive but not illegal. even a DIY'er could rewire their whole property providing appropriate notification was give before hand to LABC.

Doc H.

maybe it was another thread.. but I could of sworn I posted in this thread? and cant find it now?

Getting qualified for your purpose is easy, you can do a 5 day course for just under £500, sign up with Elecsa which seem quite lapse on joining qualifications..a 5 day 17th Edition qualification seems to be all they require for joining? and with only 1 tier scope seemingly you can then do any electrical work relating to Part P from rewires to consumer unit changes.

NICEIC and Nappit have different tier scopes, and which you can join depends on your qualifications... if not on full scope cant do rewires and consumer unit changes.

It is not illegal, it may be more expensive but not illegal. even a DIY'er could rewire their whole property providing appropriate notification was give before hand to LABC.

Doc H.
Yep, I am in the process of doing this at the moment, I hired a tester at £100 a week, notified to council and paid their £240 fee, and im about to embark on a rewire and consumer unit change.

I hired the tester so I can test circuits before making them live... because council wont test until its already connected up and powered.. which i consider dangerous if faults exist.

Latest posts