Getting Shock Off Fused Spur

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggy

Reaction score
Call from a customer I've done a fair amount of work for saying she has been getting a shock off a fused spur I fitted.

Said I would go and investigate - obviously! Joked about her finding my booby trap, etc.

Thinking about it before I arrived, I must admit I was struggling. The fused spur was fitted because DIY Bob had fed some spotlights off the ring main, I replaced the switch with a switched fused spur.

Arrived at house, confrimed which spur we were talking about, measured voltage on screws to earth on adjacent socket, nowt, isolated, removed screws and had a look inside, all good, checked earth onto back box, spot on. Really struggling now, decide to change spur (on the basis that at least I was doing something).

Took old spur off (MK, no sign of damage), removed fuse cover to check for internal damage. Wahey! 5A fuse fitted but wrapped with 5A fuse wire, about 3 inches of it, the end of which had been (just) protruding when the cover was fitted!

Wish I'd taken photo's. To be honest I was just glad to find something.

Customer now thinks I'm a hero again!Applaud Smiley

I have seen this before, last one I saw was a BS88 60amp fuse with a welders rod used as the fuse!

ahh

i'd have billed her!

i did a kitchen refurb few months back, gets recent call from irate customers dad to say he has had a shock while cleaning kitchen, so obviously i shot round for a look, he got a nip off an underlight tube missing an end cap by wiping it with a wet rag.

told him i never fitted underlights on the job and it was obvious by the way the cables were taped to the underside of units it was a diy job, guy pulls out cert and points saying it doesnt say i didnt install underlights!?!?...

i actually laughed and asked if he realised how stupid that remark was and pointed out it also doesn't say i fitted all those downlights in the ceiling (there wasnt any)

Clearly people need to be told of the dangers of electricity (for those that don't understand).

There are so many warning labels/notices in the Industrial installations and yet the domestic side seems a little weak (prior to the 16th in particular).

For many experiencing (for the first time) a real electric shock (not static) and one that (hopefully) is not fatal, I'm sure they would think twice about messing with the electrics ever again in there home. Without seeking professional assistance.

The Godfather

I can only assume the fuse blew and she didn't have a replacement. Why did the fuse blow? No idea, and you know what? I ain't bovvered! :Y
Probably blew when a lamp went. I seriously would send a bill for your wasted time and defimation of character.

Batty

For many experiencing (for the first time) a real electric shock (not static) and one that (hopefully) is not fatal, I'm sure they would think twice about messing with the electrics ever again in there home. Without seeking professional assistance.
Indeed. There's nothing quite like a good electric shock to punish mortals for their meddling.

Electricity itself is an excellent teacher.

ever done welding then Mr GH? use a welder set to around 50-60A and watch that rod melt!
Noooo. Don't encourage them to use welding rod as fuses!

It's just one short step to a nail. :^O