Go On Then, What Would You Charge.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_k

Reaction score
Simple straight question.

Replace a 2 gang `Active` RCD socket outlet front with a `Passive` one. In a school, just had eicr, all paperwork available, socket marked up where fed from. end socket of a radial circuit.

Local firm (ones who did EICR) submitted a quote.

Have a guess how much?

Sounds a doddle about £100, do it on the way home.

Drum roll............£230

How on earth can they justify that figure.

This is why our government have no money. People taking the pi55

I said id drop one in when im passing for £90.

just a thought,

has anyone done an RA as to changing it to a passive one?

it could be VERY dangerous if a motor or something suddenly started up after a power out,

especially in a school.

2nd point, how much can you get a decent RCD socket for that you could do it for less than £100.?

Steps,

It is not acceptable to rely on an active s.o. for motor protection in the way you describe, so it, must, not be an issue to change it to passive!

ah, ok,

I'd still be a bit concerned,

who would take the rap for it though?

surely the original installer had designed for an active RCD socket, so is this now a design change?

Im not sure, just questioning myself here about what repercussions may occur.

No, if the original designer allowed for the control to be via an active RCD socket then they were incompetent.

That is by the way a full stop at the end of the sentence above, as there is no more to say!

Think I paid £19 for a power breaker dsso last time.

£80 for a hours work tops on the way home, no problem with that.

Hi people sorry for interrupting what is a active rcd socket is it the same as lactching and non latching.

Again apologies if its a straight forward question. Thanks

wozz,

This is not an on the way home job, it has to be done to suit the client, if you could "fit it in" then, yes you could do it cheaper, but, what if you HAD to do it during a free lesson in the classroom during the middle of the day, and there was NO OPTION to do it at the end of the day?

I actually do works in schools and sometimes this is the requirement.,