GRADE A FIRE ALARMS

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee mcgregor

Reaction score
Been asked to price a job involving fire alarms , although ive done these a long time ago . the client is telling me it needs to be grade A. its got 4 bedrooms , hall , kitchen . But what exactly is the grade A system . ?? have looked it up but just keeps me refering to bs' numbers which i cant find . so in laymens term could someone please ellaborate. thanks

The link below may help the last bit may help as you need more information. Why is such an alarm system being specified. If I had got to quote for such a job I would get a rep from firm alarm company to price it up have used channel safty systems in past.

Only by quoting Grade and Category can a meaningful and effective alarm system be specified, e.g. Grade D, Category LD2.

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/pages/bs5839-6.html

I could be reading this totally wrong but when the client specified a 'grade A' system you are sure he's not using a turn of phrase and just means he wants the best system?

:|

I could be reading this totally wrong but when the client specified a 'grade A' system you are sure he's not using a turn of phrase and just means he wants the best system? :|
Probably a reason for needing more than standard mains operated system could be amount of floors or something. Had this recently on a job were building inspector wanted an all singing and dancing system due to fact loads of fire walls were being knocked down and doors taken out but in the end a standard sytem was put in because they changed the plans so not so much structual work was done.

GRADE A SYSTEM

"A fire detection and alarm system which incoporates control and indicating equipment conforming to BS 5839-4 and which is designed, installed and serviced in accordance with all the recommendations of BS 5839- 1, except for the following clauses, for which the corresponding clauses of this part of BS 5839 (PART 6) should be substituted"

BS 5839 - 1 BS 5839-6

7.2 b -

9 12

16.5 13.2

18 19