Grasslin Quartz Mechanical Clock (can't get it to tick) hooked upto a Eurocombi sx20

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdmr

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Wondering if you can help. Im a fairly useless DIY idiot trying to figure out what is wrong with a Grasslin Quartz Mechanical Clock. Its hooked up to a Eurocombi sx20 mffice.

My problem is that i cant make it tick. Ive bought a replacement clock and fixed it up following the old wiring set up and it doesnt work.

There are 5 connection - i have a brown wire going into 1, blue going into 2 and a red going into 3 and 4.

The boiler works fine if its set to permanently on and also if its on the timer at the correct time. the problem is the clock doesnt move!

is there an internal battery or soemthing that i am supposed to change or is it hooked up to the mains?

Could there be a problem with the original wires?

Many Thanks and sorry for the total lack of expertise.

Welcome to the forum. I will ask a few questions that some of our other members may need answering in order to help you.

• Had you proved the old clock was faulty?
  • Is the new item an exact like for like replacement? (some manufactures use different numbers for the wiring terminations).
  • Do you have any photo or links to the particular device you have? (Just knowing what colours are onto which terminal number isn't always much help).
Doc H.

Thanks Doc H.

I hadnt proved the old clock was definitely faulty, but it was a best guess from a friend.

The new clock is an exact like for like replacement, but i am using the old wires.

Ive uploaded 3 pictures that i hope will help

thanks again

GrasslinFM1QRTUZHBiasiBi1525101TimeSwitchontalkelectricianforumcouk1.jpg

GrasslinFM1QRTUZHBiasiBi1525101TimeSwitchontalkelectricianforumcouk2.jpg

GrasslinFM1QRTUZHBiasiBi1525101TimeSwitchontalkelectricianforumcouk.png

Pictures are great, From what you have said, if an exact replacement hasn't cleared the fault, I suspect the timer may not be faulty. I think you need to see what voltages are present, (or not) at the terminals, have you got access to any voltage tester? Obviously Terminals 1 & 2 connect to the time clock motor and on you photo this is a DC supply, so polarity will also be an item to check.

Doc H.

looks to me like your using a DC time clock on an AC system. If you take a look at this PDF of your boiler page 57

http://www.ariston.co.uk/uploads/doc47f5fb3f1e77d.pdf

It shows the time clock and room stat at 240v. Now before you go out and buy a new AC time clock, confirm that it is indeed 240v, by checking accross terminals 1+2. Your control circuit seems to me, to be working fine, as when you switch to permanent all is well. i think the problem is the supply to the time clock or the wrong clock.