Haggar CU

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robojin

Reaction score
Don't come across Haggar much but is this normal, the main DP switch on the right, with the RCD on the opposite side ?:| , it would imply all circuits are covered, but I did not take the cover off as the work I was called to look at is a straight replacement of some hall DL's that are popping spot lamps with regularity

Since I was there I ran an RCD test and Zs (with owners permission of course)

And found

1x 0 = 35ms

1x 180 = 550ms

5x 0 = 103ms

5x 180 = 410ms

And since I had the meter out got a Zs of 2.10+ ohm on both kitchen and lounge (separate MCB's) :( , looks as if extensive modernization has been carried out in the past

Customer has no idea how old the installation is as they have only been there 2 years

Since I'm there for like for like work, don't want to terrify them unessecerarily, as some customers do react badly and think you are creating work, what would you do?

nothing wrong with the layout. although there should be a label under the MCBs with which are on RCD and which are on main switch

What was Ze? for 2 rings to be high like that, the problem may be external and require a call to DNO?

RCD times way too high - presing test button a few times can help lower times, but im not 100% sure thats a good idea to get it to pass at time of inspection and not work later when needed

nothing wrong with the layout. although there should be a label under the MCBs with which are on RCD and which are on main switch
There was a distinct split on the board so I assumed that right of the split were 6A(s) that were unprotected

RCD: My thoughts were to inform the customer that this should be investigated/Replaced but not create a song and dance about it, I'm not into terrifying people as you just never know how they will react

If I get the work I can do a Ze to confirm if a DNO issue

Malfunctioning RCD's and a possibly high Ze are serious problems... (it's like driving a car without wearing a seatbelt - fine until something happens, but then when it does......)

You should be issuing them with a Danger Notice just to cover your bum...

Andy... I've been through the "exercising RCD" issue on here before.. test in accordance with the regs and guidance notes, if it fails a test then it fails.

so if the customer hasnt pressed the button for two years and it fails you replace it? surely if the manufactures instructions arnt being followed how can it be expected to operate correctly?

i press it once then conduct the RCD tests.

the main problem is people dont tes the RCD's. so when someone goes along and tests trip times, some are slightly over, and the odd one is way over. now exercising the RCD a few times normally does get the trip time down to within tolerance, and would then be a pass, but the fact is you know the RCD has failed to trip in time before exercising the RCD, and in 6 month time when someone gets a shock, there not going to test the RCD a few times before that, so best replace it

Rob you need to look closer at earthing maybe TT. I have sparks use split load boards on TT installs. My fluke 1652 meter has gone wrong yesterday it was telling me all Rcd's and Rcbo's on the job I was doing where not tripping out on 1x test so that has got to be fixed. What meter do you use.

Batty

Rob you need to look closer at earthing maybe TT. I have sparks use split load boards on TT installs. My fluke 1652 meter has gone wrong yesterday it was telling me all Rcd's and Rcbo's on the job I was doing where not tripping out on 1x test so that has got to be fixed. What meter do you use.Batty
It was definitely TN-S, I use a KT64, I have a reference socket so can check against that, but pretty sure the reading were genuine

Another oddity was the hall spots wired to an old Wylex two way MCB with 6A wired into the Haggar 6A, my first thought was that these were there first and the Haggar had been added after

The more I reflect on this installation the more I get the feeling that circuits were extended after the Haggar was installed without any testing, but it looks old

As I can't force the customer to replace, my option is to decline the job unless these issues are resolved first

The RCD had a turn dial reset, can these still be sourced or will it be a standard DIN fitting (pic)

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/robojin/P130609_1536.jpg