Half Decent Cctv Kit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning guys and gals

Not been around for a few days as we finally moved house and now have no internet and very poor mobile reception. Feeling very disconnected from the world. Lol. Anyway, looking for an half decent cctv and it's been a good few years since I dipped a finger in it. Everything now seems to be 1080p here IP there. So obviously I want the best, that's the type of person I am. But funds aren't unlimited. Only really need 2 cams a 3rd would be bonus. Sub £500 budget. No issues with either type of cabling. Looked loads of sites, all seem to do what I need. But no all the unit seem to own brand. Hard to get reviews and comparisons. Any pointers?

The online place I usually use for security alarms only do esp kits and although they look nice and talk the talk. They are 720p. My brain then tells me why have 720 when you can get 1080. I know pixels / res isn't everything, hence I'm not simply jumping in balls deep on the first 1080p system.

Also looking at a texecom premier 24 panel for security. Need 12 zones altogether. Fitted millions and veritas and had a premier 816 in old house. A peculiar panel being an international model but it worked.any advances on a premium 24.

P. S. Hope you all had a good Xmas.

I've done a few jobs recently using Samsung IP cameras with either a Samsung NVR or using a NAS with NVR functionality (Qnap & Synology so far, I would be unlikely to use anything else TBH). Used a few other IP cameras & NVRs and had issues but the Samsung kit worked much better, only downside is the software has a few odd quirks (like, it checks the system spec and won't run if it thinks you have less than something ridiculous like 4GB & i3, for some viewer software???). Also fitted a couple of cheap HD systems with HD-TVI cameras, was reasonably impressed for the price. Not been in long enough to comment on reliability as yet, but they'd probably be best part of half the price of the Samsung kit.

As for the alarm, I used to use Texecom for domestic systems but had several issues with faulty bells and panels. They're also a nightmare to do anything with from the keypad IMO so you need the laptop out to do anything. They're not totally hopeless though, if you're happy with them then I see no reason why you should switch.

I've done a few jobs recently using Samsung IP cameras with either a Samsung NVR or using a NAS with NVR functionality (Qnap & Synology so far, I would be unlikely to use anything else TBH). Used a few other IP cameras & NVRs and had issues but the Samsung kit worked much better, only downside is the software has a few odd quirks (like, it checks the system spec and won't run if it thinks you have less than something ridiculous like 4GB & i3, for some viewer software???). Also fitted a couple of cheap HD systems with HD-TVI cameras, was reasonably impressed for the price. Not been in long enough to comment on reliability as yet, but they'd probably be best part of half the price of the Samsung kit.

As for the alarm, I used to use Texecom for domestic systems but had several issues with faulty bells and panels. They're also a nightmare to do anything with from the keypad IMO so you need the laptop out to do anything. They're not totally hopeless though, if you're happy with them then I see no reason why you should switch.
Cheers for the speedy reply Lurch. I think samsung is taking over my house. 4 x mobiles, 3 x TV and now possibly cctv. Hehe.

I have to agree on the texecom stuff, the veritas used to lock out on rare occasion and had to be rebooted. Never know a panel do it ywice though. The premier 816 was a pig to program. Especially as I only had the led keypad too. The only other that has caught my eye is newer pyronix stuff (guardtec is it now, would take ages to try find it on phone half way through a post). Probably stick to the prem.

wintex makes programming the panel very easy. you can also connect the panel to the network, so fit that first, program the IP details via keypad then do everything else via the software. you can also get apps so you can work the alarm remotely, check its status etc. at least you can with a 48, i think the 24 will be similar

Last edited by a moderator:
The only other that has caught my eye is newer pyronix stuff (guardtec is it now, would take ages to try find it on phone half way through a post).
No, Pyronix and GardTec/Risco Group are still different companies. Pyronix and Castle are now one and the same though.

I have been using Galaxy for everything for the last few years, easier for support as well. Having said that, I have used some of the Pyronix wireless recently and was impressed with the new panels. Only used them as the Galaxy wireless option wasn't too competitive. Looking at maybe using some of the Pyronix kit for the domestic systems. Programming is pretty straight forward from the keypad.

No, Pyronix and GardTec/Risco Group are still different companies. Pyronix and Castle are now one and the same though.

I have been using Galaxy for everything for the last few years, easier for support as well. Having said that, I have used some of the Pyronix wireless recently and was impressed with the new panels. Only used them as the Galaxy wireless option wasn't too competitive. Looking at maybe using some of the Pyronix kit for the domestic systems. Programming is pretty straight forward from the keypad.
Must have been castle I was thinking of then ;)

Don't have a "wireless" alarm. Hard wire everything, less trouble, less batteries to change, less on going cost.

ive just fitted a SWAN kit was on offer at maplins to be honest very impressed easy to set up! up to 8 cameras viewable on mobile phone. took around 20 mins to set up excluding 1st fix

But the problem is the quality. You can often buy better quality at a lower price than you pay for the swan kit.

I have a customer that I installed a Swann kit for a few years ago (he supplied it)......well recently the DVR died,,, he wouldn't let me supply a decent make one but ended up buying another Swann DVR for a very similar price that I would have got him a decent one for

I've seen a few Swann systems, people seem happy enough with them but that doesn't make them any good. As an installer of proper CCTV and alarms I would not install a Swann system without the customer understanding that I am not recommending it or guaranteeing quality. I also wouldn't recommend one to anyone asking for half decent kit, Swann is below that IMO.

Swann is pretty much the realm of the DIYer imho, 

I don't think it's what any professional would recommend or supply, but installing customer supplied kit then it's entirely up to the customer. 

The one thing that they have done,, which is good.... Is that you don't have to do any port forwarding or the like to watch it on your smart phone... you just scan a QR code and it's set up
Which other manufacturers are doing as well now. I think it's "a thing".

Latest posts