Halogens keep turning off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swap the two kitchen circuits at the controller. (yes the switches will be wrong when you do that)

If the fault moves to the other set of lights, it's a fault on the controller. If the fault stays with the same set of lights, it's a wiring fault on those lights.

You should still do what ProDave says, imagine swapping out the controller and the kitchen lights still not working. Your parents might :red card  and you might have to  :coat

Haha yeah, I've just ordered 10 dimmable LEDS, see how we go with that first!! Then I'll get swapping the outputs if no success and take it from there.

Nope, no idea. Can you help me find out?
What LED  lamps have you ordered? 12V ones?

Whether the "dimmable" LED lamps will work with your transformer(s) depends on whether leading or trailing edge dimming is used, refer to LED lamp data sheets and controller datasheets (if available). Might not work even if seemingly compatible.

I think you are getting ahead of yourself in ordering expensive lamps before finding out where the fault is

What LED  lamps have you ordered? 12V ones?

Whether the "dimmable" LED lamps will work with your transformer(s) depends on whether leading or trailing edge dimming is used, refer to LED lamp data sheets and controller datasheets (if available). Might not work even if seemingly compatible.

I think you are getting ahead of yourself in ordering expensive lamps before finding out where the fault is

And just to add some trannys have a minimum load which rules out most leds

What you need to do is take the advice as given by our colleague ProDave, as with most faults regardless of the system it is a matter of a process of elimination which identifies the faulty part etc. 

So start with what you have in front of you and once satisfied it is not a connected item then start on the wiring 

Last week i blindly  went  to look at a similar problem with a Rako set up. Had a quick google the night before but there are many different systems. I was lucky they are still trading and their tech  confirmed the controllers were faulty. A lot of money new but a reasonable £35 fixed price repair. Sent 2 off and they came back FOC even though they were 5 years old.

Today i was given a load of Costco's 12v dimmable LED's ( i personally never fit these but swap out the lampholders for GU10) Anyhow, none of these lamps worked with dimmers, but worked fine with the same trannys only switched

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts