Hello After Some Advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trousdale

Reaction score
Started my C&Q level 2 2330 about 6 years ago and continued onto level 3 the following year. After leaving college i then got a job in housing maintenance where I now do joinery mostly and some small electrical works like PAT testing changing pendants etc. I am no booked onto my 17th edition which is in a few weeks and then I was advised to do my 2392 after this so i've booked that too. The tutor told me once I have these I would be able to do domestic work and sign off myself if I was to go self employed on my own. does this seem correct? I asked someome at NAPIT and they said I need experience before I can join there CPS. Just confused over which qualification I require to do domestic work and sign off.

Hi and welcome.

You say on your profile you are time served. Did you not get experience during your apprenticeship?

Each of the Competent Person Schemes seem to have no consistency with registration requirements. The best advice I would give you is continue to work for someone else and enrol on the 2357 NVQ at your local college or training provider. That way you can complete the qualifications needed to be a "Qualified Electrician" and also you should have gained the experience by that time to get registered with a scheme if you feel competent enough. The 2392 is just a level 2 and in my eyes is only for people who really lack confidence and experience in inspection and testing and failed to grasp it on their level 3 diploma/certificate at college, but if you don't mind spending the money then its extra training and knowledge for you.

You are 2/3 of the way there, why limit yourself to being a domestic installer?

Good luck mate

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
Each of the Competent Person Schemes seem to have no consistency with registration requirements. The best advice I would give you is continue to work for someone else and enrol on the 2357 NVQ at your local college or training provider. That way you can complete the qualifications needed to be a "Qualified Electrician" and also you should have gained the experience by that time to get registered with a scheme if you feel competent enough. The 2392 is just a level 2 and in my eyes is only for people who really lack confidence and experience in inspection and testing and failed to grasp it on their level 3 diploma/certificate at college, but if you don't mind spending the money then its extra training and knowledge for you.

You are 2/3 of the way there, why limit yourself to being a domestic installer?

Good luck mate

Neil
Thanks for advice Neil!

At the moment domestic seems the best route, there seems to be a lot of work in domestic around my area and working in a domestic housing company It's seems the next step up for now.

Thanks

No, college sold me the 2392 instead. But because it was a new course and they hadnt set up the curriculum for it at the time, they taught us the 2391. Even more annoying really

I'm not complaining about your advice I think the 2395 will be too difficult with not working in the industry atm. I've been told people who test on site everyday struggle

For domestic work and with my lack of experience I've been told it will do me well

I'm not complaining about your advice I think the 2395 will be too difficult with not working in the industry atm. I've been told people who test on site everyday struggle
Forgive me, hard day. Ok, may I ask who it was told you that the 2392 would do you well?