Hello to all.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff58

Reaction score
Hello everybody on here.

I'm Jeff and have just joined.

I need HELP.......but I am fairly normal

Well at 58, I've decided to take a side step in my career as I want to be self employed, and I thought that becoming an electrician was the way to go.

I have many years experience in the electronics field working for big companies like BAE and the Ford motor company, so I have no problems there. I have always worked to a very high standard, and want to continue to do so in my work as an electrician.

I want to do things the right way, and to progress to inspection and testing as soon as I can.

I have just got my 17th edition and my Domestic Installer passes, (part P}

So, I desperately need help in building a portfolio, and getting on to a Competent Person Scheme..

If anybody on here in the Essex area is willing to let me help them as an electricians mate and mentor me for a while, then please get in touch,......I'm all charged and ready to learn.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Jeff.

You should be aiming higher than domestic work.

Experienced industrial electricians are a dieing breed. (Almost on the endangered species list.)
Thanks Tony,

Just feel that starting as a domestic was the way to go, don't really have the finances to take on more training at the moment.

Whilst I would agree that industrial electrical is loads better than domestic I think @Tony S is confusing electronics and electrical installation/maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't say you weren't any good, nor did I say you enjoyed domestic work.

Electronics is not electrical, they are not even slightly the same. I work with electronics engineers, they would be equally lost with both industrial and domestic electrical work.

Welcome to the forum.

I'd say go for the industrial machinery maintenance, especially as you are over in Essex, that's far enough away from me! ;)

I'm guessing if you've worked for Ford, then either Dagenham estate or Basildon Tractors, unless you were at Dunton?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.

I'd say go for the industrial machinery maintenance, especially as you are over in Essex, that's far enough away from me! ;)

I'm guessing if you've worked for Ford, then either Dagenham estate or Basildon Tractors, unless you were at Dunton?
I started with the tractors, then Aveley, some time in Dagenham and Halewood, then Wickford and finally Basildon radiators.  So nobody would like my help?

OK, so you've been round a bit! ;)

I used to work for Landis Lund, if you were in tractors or DEP, they both had our machines, not so sure about Halewood, but tractors, Dagenham, & Halewood had kit from another of my old employers, Indramat.

You're too far from me to be honest, & I don't do domestic unless I am almost forced into it!

Someone may come along who is interested in a bit, however unfortunately we get a lot of offers & requests like this on the forum.

Best of luck in your new career Jeff, hope it all goes well for you and that someone here can use your help. It takes a lot of guts to make such a change, it is a steep learning curve and every day is a school day. Welcome to the forum.