Help Identifying Module in Consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SueDonim

Reaction score
As I am new on here I cannot post a picture, but would like help identifying a module in a consumer unit. I will try and describe the item.

Merlin Gerin Consumer unit in large house  ~30 years old with multi9 mcbs. At the end of each of the two live busbars next to the mcbs there is an unmarked module, it has no identification on either side or on the front other than a red 'L' sticker and a small Merlin Gerin logo. The front of the unit where the mcb switch would normally be is blank. There is a screw terminal on the top side for connection to the busbar. On the bottom side there is no screw terminal, but the module extends an extra ~3cm longer than the multi-9 mcbs, this extended section appears to be slotted into the main section somewhat like a jigsaw piece.

This could just be a blank module, but looks to be something more than that particularly given that it is longer than the standard mcb modules.

Any help identifying this module would be appreciated.

I'm assuming you mean 3cm longer than the MCBs inside the board rather than sticking out of the front. You can get RCBO pods by some manufacturers that clip onto MCBs but this wouldn't make sense if the unit it is clipped to isn't an MCB. Other plug in modules are relays and surge protectors but these plug in front ways and usually don't stick out further than the MCBs, certainly not by 3cm as lids wouldn't close. 

This is one of those cases where a picture is worth a thousand words. Uploading to a 3rd party site like flickr and pasting the link should allow you to post a picture, unless that method is limited for new members too.

A quick google search shows the Merlin Gerin blanks are the same size as MCB;s

Post that picture to an image hosting site a post a link then we can all see what it is.

WERbNRT.jpg.0a89b737582a112c3fc5cf0a95497c1b.jpg

It looks like a standard blank, with an add on bit at the bottom.  Never seen one like that before, but it is a blank, expanded to be the same size that an rcbo would be.

Thanks for confirming that this is a blank.

I had noticed the exposed copper on the large conductor, this is one of the less significant bad practices that this installation is full of!

not a blank... thats a connector. usually used on a 2 row board to get a cable from top to bottom to link the busbars. look closely and you can see a large red cable behind it. also blanks dont usually screw into the busbar and in the case of merlin gerin, they dont need to busbar switched turned on... might be being used as a blank though, a pic of the full board would be more helpful

Last edited by a moderator: