Help Installing Pond Uv Filter - Wiring Advice Needed.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc_ef

Reaction score
Hello, 

I wish I could add an image, but the system doesn't allow images for newcomers (or I'm doing it wrong). 

I am trying to install a uv filter for my pond and I need some wiring advice.  

Here's my best description of the current set up. 

A switch box 2-gang receives two cords : 1) mains coming from a junction box and 2) the wire from the pump to switch on and off.

The mains wire live goes to com, earth to the box and neutral is connected via plastic connector to the neutral of the pump.

The pump's wire live goes to L1 on switch 1, earth to the box and neutral, as mentioned, connected via connector to the neutral of the mains.

And then there is a small piece of wire connecting L1 on switch 1, to L1 on switch 2.

What I'm looking to do is add a uv filter to the switch 2, which is unused except for the piece of wire that comes from L1 in switch 1.

If any of this makes sense to anyone and can provide help, I'd be eternally grateful   :)

Where should the UV's life go ? And the neutral? Should it go to the plastic connector to join the other two? Earth goes to the box I presume.

Cheers,

Pedro

Any good for you?

uv filter.pdf

Assuming the supply cable is fused as you have not mentioned that

Attachments

• uv filter.pdf
    87.4 KB · Views: 14
Canoeboy - sorry, images still not working - now I get "you can't use this image extension on this forum" I'm using regular jpg, 300k image, so not big. How do I upload images? I'm pasting into the content area, but when I hit post, I get the error. 

Thanks for your reply M107 - great diagram, thanks a million. 

Yes, it is fused (well, the mains to the junction box, from which one wire comes to power this switch box) - if that makes any sense. 

In your diagram, you have removed the live piece of wire that connects both switches' L1s. Is that intentional?

Thanks everyone for your help. 

Pedro

Aha! And the attach file option appeared! Thanks!! 

Here's the image - hopefully it'll clarify a bit. 

Again, white cord is mains coming from junction box (fused). Live going to L1 and extended onto L1 on switch 2 (left). Neutral connected with pump's neutral via connector. 

Black is pond pump. Live going to com on switch 1 (right). 

Again, the goal is to connect a new uv filter to switch 2 (left).

M107 has provided a great diagram, but the connection of both L1s is gone, so I'm awaiting confirmation that that is intentional . 

Many thanks for everybody's help. 

Pedro

IMG_7399.jpg

M107 - in the current set up, both L1s are connected. In your proposed wiring, you remove the L1 connection and in turn, you connect the two coms. Is that still the case given what you can see in the image I've uploaded in the previous post? And the coms connection is a simple piece of wire between the two?

Sorry for not being an expert at this - I have to be very certain of what i'm doing and double checking everything. 

Cheers, 

Pedro

Last edited by a moderator:
Wire it either way.

In your picture all you are doing is making the L1 terminals the common or Non switched live terminals.

In my picture I have made the com terminals non switched live & both L1 terminals being switched live.

I would however also advise you use some nylon cable glands.

The switch box is a waste of time. You really want a junction box.

You should never turn off a pond UV or the pump supplying the filter unless it needs maintenance* By having a switch it is easy for anyone to go   "I wonder what this button does" and turn off the UV and you will not know for some time. You can't do that with a junction box.

A junction box is also easier to connect.

* When it is time for maintenance, you switch both the UV and the filter pump off at the same time.

Thanks everyone for your help - I think I'll go with the junction box after all, despite any possible loss of convenience or control over one or the other. 

Cheers everyone.

Hello, 

I need to revive this thread because I have yet another question. I've been tied up and never got around to actually installing the UV filter, but this weekend is it. Everything was all set until I hit a roadblock. Here it goes:

I have a garden pond with a pump currently running fine, and the goal is to add a UV filter to the setup.

pond-current-setup.png

pond-proposed-setup.png

The question is:

The UV filter's instructions specify "never use a fuse larger than 3A"

In the current setup, the pump is fed from the house through a 13A fused switch.

What sort of conflict that this cause, and how should I proceed? Use a 3A fuse in the switch? Or is that a bad idea?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Pedro.

Roys - thanks for your reply - so you mean taking out the 13A fuse from the switch in the house and replacing it with a 3A? Sorry, not an expert, as you can tell. What implication could that have on the pump that is now running, or the toolshed that is also fed from this 13A fuse spur?

thanks again.

Probability is the new 3A fuse will blow if you use anything in the tool shed.

You would be better off putting in a Fused connection unit (Un switched) for each item. i.e 1 for the the pump and one for the UV light.

The way I have mine set up IP Rated socket which is feed from a cu in shed pump and uv on same socket 3 amp fuse in both

only time you should switch uv off is for maintenance or when cleaning pump as quarts glass in side gets hot a cracks if no water

passes or when treating pond with chemicals as some don't work properly with uv on

all so if you don't know uv lamps should be change every six months

that's how my koi pond is set up