help, my house is falling down!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
Hello chaps,

just wandering if you saw said C4 programme? it featured Mr Tony god i have a big fat face Cable.

Anyway, guy could not afford a 4 grand rewire, so it was recomending to do the first fix yourself as you only need a spark to do the second fix!

great, how many people are going to get a shock (no pun intended) when a spark comes round and says no way am i certing this.

why do tv directors continue to fill the publics mind with sh1t? they would never say "save money on your gas install and solder the pipes your self"

this type of tv should be stating any electric work should be done by a part p guy.

your views most welcome

your views most welcome
I never saw the programme so couldn't really comment. With an understanding electrician brought in at the design phase I would have thought there was scope for reducing the price.

For example if you designed installation and homeowner did the donkey work of sinking back boxes, running chases and helped pull cables then it could be win/win? Doubt you get a lot of satisfaction in chasing or lifting floor boards?

this type of tv should be stating any electric work should be done by a part p guy.
I disagree. It should state the scope of work that has to be notified. Explain how the competent person schemes work and state whether it would be legal for a homeowner to get on with it or get a qualified spark in.

Remember I can change my consumer unit - I just need to notify it and get BCO to test. I can rewire my own house as long as I notify. I have added sockets outside of a SL, added outside lights, changed like for like accessories all legally. Did you see my thread on adding to my shed wiring? I thought I did a decent job of it. http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9940

Not all DIYers want to wire the new shower in bell wire - some of us take pride over our work and can take our time over it because we are not doing it to a price.

Was that the one with Sarah Beeny? Is it my imagination or does she seem to get pregnant every time she goes near a house?

Doubt you get a lot of satisfaction in chasing or lifting floor boards?
no, but you would get more money in the job for it

depending on the job, i would be happy for someone else to do the chasing and possibly help pulling in cables, but all connections would be done by me

I never saw the programme so couldn't really comment. With an understanding electrician brought in at the design phase I would have thought there was scope for reducing the price.For example if you designed installation and homeowner did the donkey work of sinking back boxes, running chases and helped pull cables then it could be win/win? Doubt you get a lot of satisfaction in chasing or lifting floor boards?

I disagree. It should state the scope of work that has to be notified. Explain how the competent person schemes work and state whether it would be legal for a homeowner to get on with it or get a qualified spark in.

Remember I can change my consumer unit - I just need to notify it and get BCO to test. I can rewire my own house as long as I notify. I have added sockets outside of a SL, added outside lights, changed like for like accessories all legally. Did you see my thread on adding to my shed wiring? I thought I did a decent job of it. http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9940

Not all DIYers want to wire the new shower in bell wire - some of us take pride over our work and can take our time over it because we are not doing it to a price.
you make a good point patch, many diyers do a good job, and there maybe scope for getting someont to lift boards etc, but the way the programme discribed it was basicly just do the first fix yourself, no mention of following regs etc.

you can watch on 4od if you like

APACHE

you can come rewire my house anytime you have a free weekend,

Aggie will pay you in either cuppas or kind.!

you standard of work is better than a lot I see.

I agree with you to a degree, but most sparks want the rip off first fix where they get cheap labour in to track and pull,

I dont mean the decent small guys, but the bigger firms having lots of labourers etc.

haha my wife said the same thing, but it seemed to have gone by the second half of the prog lol
That's the weirdest thing, she seems to be just randomly pregnant every time she is on the telly!

I suppose the second part was a revisit, so she had most probably dropped the sprog by then, either that or there is a serious continuity error or a missing cushion...

That's the weirdest thing, she seems to be just randomly pregnant every time she is on the telly!I suppose the second part was a revisit, so she had most probably dropped the sprog by then, either that or there is a serious continuity error or a missing cushion...
If you watch any of these house programmes they are filmed over long periods of time (often 2 years+) so they are filming many episodes all at once.

To be fair, when Sarah announced that the chap was running the wires himself, she did state quite unequivocally that this is the maximum an amateur should take on because the new electrics will need to be certified by a qualified electrician.

To be fair, when Sarah announced that the chap was running the wires himself, she did state quite unequivocally that this is the maximum an amateur should take on because the new electrics will need to be certified by a qualified electrician.
its still false information

[quote name='Andy

Quite right, Andy. He can perfectly legally do all the wiring. If it's a major renovation BCO may already be involved and separate notification not even required. :D
false info both ways patch - also that a spark cannot sign off someone else work

not disagreeing with you patch, but a slightly different view. under CORGI, and i assume gas safe too, you can do gas work in your own home without being reg'd, yet the programs still always say it must be done by a gas safe plumber. so why not say electrical work must be done by a spark?

agreed:Salute

I have just watched to whole program on 4OD, cuz I missed it.....

anyway the guy who chose HIMSELF to do what he could himself, did have advice from an "ELECTRICIAN" about how to run the cables....

Perhaps this same electrician did actual come back and visual inspect cable routes prior to being concealed

and maybe he is coming back for the 2nd fix & testing?????

(Although that bit is boring telly and not as exciting as showing the roof tiles leaking & possibly blowing off on in a gale force wind!!!))

Remember Boys & Girls... Just As the vet says...

A DIY PERSON CAN STILL REWIRE THE WHOLE OF THEIR HOUSE IF THEY SO WISH!!!!

Try reading sub-section 'C' of certifying notifiable work

page 11 & 12 of Approved Document P

Paragraphs 1.24, 1.25, 1.26 1.27, 1.28 & 1.29

Once again we have the old "some electricians like to make up their own rules" situation...

(even though this honor is often attributed to the NIC as the only ones who can make up rules!!!)

I personally would NEVER recommend it good practice for a DIY to do a full rewire...

BUT..

Legally they can do it if they so wish by following all the relevant LABC notifications process & paying the right fees!

It may also be of interest to anyone wanting to jump on the complain to the program hobby-horse that they may just refer you to the guidance from their website on electrical work...

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/diy-self-build/diy-build-advice/major-projects/electric-know-how-the-dos-and-don-ts-of-tackling-electrics-10-02-03_p_1.html

which does say...

Unless you are a competent person with the appropriate training and qualifications you should never attempt any electrical work, not even changing a broken switch, plug socket or light. Even if you install a switch, socket-outlets or a light, the only way to ensure it is safe is to carry out a complete range of tests; and to do this, you need an expensive item of test equipment.

It