help, my house is falling down!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely you are all missing the point.

The owner CAN pull the wires.

Just as long as the electrican tells him exactly where and what to run.

Then the electrician signs the DESIGN part of the certificate, the owner signs the CONSTRUCTION part, and the electrician signs the TESTING part.

What am I missing?????

Surely you are all missing the point.The owner CAN pull the wires.

Then the electrician signs the DESIGN part of the certificate, the owner signs the CONSTRUCTION part, and the electrician signs the TESTING part.

What am I missing?????
:|

My post #20 maybe...

Remember Boys & Girls... Just As the vet says...A DIY PERSON CAN STILL REWIRE THE WHOLE OF THEIR HOUSE IF THEY SO WISH!!!!
:innocent :innocent;)

Surely you are all missing the point.The owner CAN pull the wires.

What am I missing?????
so if owner signs construction, then he also second fixes?

so if owner signs construction' date=' then he also second fixes?[/quote']There is nothing in wiring regs to say the same person does all the work, design, construction and test, indeed wiring regs assume they are done by different people.

But what about large firms of sparks? are you sure it is always the same spark that second fixes every job as first fixes it? what if a differewnt spark second fixes it? you wouldn't batt an eylid youd you? so why question in this case? If in doubt, both the owner and the spark sign for construction.

The point I was trying to make is, there is nothing wrong with different people doing different bits of the job. So what's wrong with the owner first fixing and a spark second fixing and testing? Nothing as far as I can see, certainly not anything in wiring regs to stop it.

Or is it specifically not allowed in Part P? We don't have part P up here so I'm not subject to that so don't know all the limitations it might have.

I guess I'm a sort of "show me where it says I can't" sort of person, rather than "show me where it says I can" A bit like comparing half full with half empty.

im well aware that different people can do design/construction & I&T. thats what a 3 part EIC is for. most i would sign would be what ive done. now if that person was to do all of construction, or just the wiring, then i would not be notifying it to LABC since it wasnt fully my company who done the construction

There is nothing in wiring regs to say the same person does all the work, design, construction and test, indeed wiring regs assume they are done by different people.But what about large firms of sparks? are you sure it is always the same spark that second fixes every job as first fixes it? what if a differewnt spark second fixes it? you wouldn't batt an eylid youd you? so why question in this case? If in doubt, both the owner and the spark sign for construction.

The point I was trying to make is, there is nothing wrong with different people doing different bits of the job. So what's wrong with the owner first fixing and a spark second fixing and testing? Nothing as far as I can see, certainly not anything in wiring regs to stop it.

Or is it specifically not allowed in Part P? We don't have part P up here so I'm not subject to that so don't know all the limitations it might have.

I guess I'm a sort of "show me where it says I can't" sort of person, rather than "show me where it says I can" A bit like comparing half full with half empty.
Bang on the money there, Pro. In the automotive R&D environment we had a golden rule about engineering a vehicle or system to meet legislative requirements - "unless the legislation says you cannot do it, then you can"

Many large firms use [relatively] unskilled labour for first fix of jobs. all they do is follow the designers instructions. So surely there's nothing wrong with an intelligent and commited DIYer doing much of the "donkey work" under the instruction of the electrician. It's up to the electrician to satisfy himself that the "labour" is up to the job and to properly supervise.

show me an industrial/commercial job where the same person even does all of one fix...!

maybe 10 or 20 lads doing 1st fix and perhaps 30 or 40 lads doing 2nd fix,

albeit with probably an overspill of perhaps 3 or four guys and the supervisor just to make sure all markings are understood.

I never saw the programme so couldn't really comment. With an understanding electrician brought in at the design phase I would have thought there was scope for reducing the price.For example if you designed installation and homeowner did the donkey work of sinking back boxes, running chases and helped pull cables then it could be win/win? Doubt you get a lot of satisfaction in chasing or lifting floor boards?
I have yet to come across a customer that does any of the donkey work correctly. Chases are never deep enough, boxes are on the wonk, cheap materials supplied, cable not run off the drum correctly etc. Those kind of jobs end up costing YOU money. I wouldn't give those type of customers the steam off my urine I'd fan it away from them.

You know sometimes you guys talk a right load of old twaddle.