Help Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon Hamling

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone

Please can anyone help with the following

My wife tried a new hairdryer in a double socket in the bedroom last hight and it caused arcing plus the hairdryer didn't work properly and the pins of the plug were very hot when I removed the plug. The hairdryer works fine in other sockets in the house and some hair Straighteners work fine in the same socket. And the hairdryer appears to work ok in the second socket. I've taken the frontplate of the socket off and the wiring all seems tight and rheres no evidence of overheating. The only clue I have is that it appears to be the end of the ring main i.e there are only one set of wires to the socket. Is it possible there's internal damage to the socket ? Or could it be something else ?

I'd say worn out socket like murdoch says, making poor contacts on the plug pins. Replacing socket front should fix, but might also be worth having an electrician round making sure all good with proper test gear.

My wife tried a new hairdryer in a double socket in the bedroom last hight and it caused arcing plus the hairdryer didn't work properly and the pins of the plug were very hot when I removed the plug. The hairdryer works fine in other sockets in the house and some hair Straighteners work fine in the same socket. And the hairdryer appears to work ok in the second socket. I've taken the frontplate of the socket off and the wiring all seems tight and rheres no evidence of overheating. The only clue I have is that it appears to be the end of the ring main i.e there are only one set of wires to the socket. Is it possible there's internal damage to the socket ? Or could it be something else ?
Like others have said, fit a new socket (power off first of course), just one note, you cant be on the end of a ring main, thats at the consumer unit!

Latest posts