Help re NICEIC assessment please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miran clarence

Reaction score
Hi guys

im new to the forum im a junior member newly qualified electrician with partp 17th and 2392-10 currently registerd with elecsa full scope.i have recently paid to join niceic di scheme if some one could give me some kind advice for my assesment it would be grat......

I got one cu change and one mionor job a s/o to show for my assesement ,i have got the complaints reg,building countrol note form with reference numbers,risk assesment,h&s policy,bc compliyaence cert for the consumer unit cal certificates for megga1553,books and staff ewar, hsr25,part p document,insurrencence doc 2m, and they ask me for cal records for each month i have never done this before and im skint after spending alot of money on all this have i got to buy a special caliberation meter for this,or can i buy a calcard and have dedicated s/o for testing,if i have a dedicated s/o has it got be a unprotected circuit (non rcd) or have still got to have the s/o under rcbo ,and for the earth fault loop impedence can i do it under no trip,i need some advice on this please please realy stressed out

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:07 ----------

cant afford to fail the assement what sort of questions will they ask me, getting realy worried,im reading all the books at the moment to referesh my knowlege but some staff im not realy sure the audiobatic equation for earthing conductors will the ask this type of questions,any expertise for my assesment would be great cheers foulks.

Welcome to the forum. The first bit of advice if you want to get the best results form the forum, is to start you own question thread rather than hi-jacking someone else question. (I have moved your post to start a new thread). I am a bit confused as to why, if you are only just newly qualified, yet already registered with Elecsa, you are wanting to register again with NICEIC? The assessment process will be similar to what you have already done with Elecsa surely?

Doc H.

hi doc

i have never used the forum before so if i have done mistake its human error ,join the forum to day,the problem im facing is my clients doesnt know whats elecsa is and when i tell them im registerd they wont belive it they think niceic is the best,, im not critisising any off reg schems,therefore i have decided to go with niceic,,elecsa is a good reg scheme with a good tech help line, i won to deverlope my business and gain more sales ,and electrical staf is quit new to me,only had the experiyance in arm forces ,except that have no idea on how to do businees ,thinking off my kids to give them a better life,that why,if you can advice me doc it would be grate

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was made at 15:03 ----------

on the elecsa assement they dint check the monthly accuracy test report they only check the annual cal cert,

The assessment process is a laid down set of standards that all scheme providers sign to agree to. Therefore as Doc Hudson has said the assessment will be just the same. Some clients can and do insist on having only electricians who are with the NICEIC, however a common statement from other Elesca members have said that Elesca will talk to your clients and assure them that as a governing body they are just as capable to provide assurance that work done by you would be of the same standard.

NICEIC require that you check the accuracy of your meter each month. It can be done with a calcard or a socket outlet that you use each time. They only want to see that you are checking your meter betweeen calibrations and that the results show a consistent reading

thank you for the advice,im still trying to find a answer for the caliberation record details.as i have posted on the top.and i have paid for the assement and got the assesment in 2 weeks any expertise on this topic would be help full,,,, cheers again

The calibration checks can be recorded in plain writing on any scrap of paper, or on a purpose made form. All the assessor will want to see is that you have measured against a known quantity and recorded your reading, calcard or other measuring calibration checkers can be used, you could even make your own.

cheers mikel,

1 so if i buy a cal card to check insulation resistence and contunity,

2 and have dedicated s/o how can i test the rcd @ 1/2 1times 5times ramp and for earth fault loop impedence test ,

3the cu is a split load 17th edd board.

4 for the s/o out let has it got to be rcbo protected s/o seperated from the rest of the cuicuits.

of can i just use a normal s/o from a ring to chk the rcd,and to chk the earth fault loop test under the setting no trip

bit confused how to do the test s/o, and also on the test sheets if they wanna see ze or zs,

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was made at 15:44 ----------

still a junior member got to learn alot from experts.from the forum .

We are not experts well i am not anyway but really cannot see how by being NICEIC registered is going to improve your business that much. There is enough work out there with out being NICEIC registered.

1. Invest in a calcard to check continuity & insulation resistance, or buy a selection of resistors & make your own board.
  2. Install a srcd (socket with integral rcd) on it's own radial or use a plug in rcd unit in a non rcd's socket or if dual rcd cu use a normal socket next to your cu & use for testing RCD times. Or just use the same socket every month on the ringmain.
  3. Use same socket every month to test efli.
  4. No need to undertake ramp testing.
  5. Use a simple word/excel doc to record your readings monthly, you can not use a tick box system, you have to show the readings obtained.

On the sheet they will want to see:

• consistency of continuity.
  • Insulation resistance.
  • Earth fault loop impedance test (Zs)

How you lay it out in a form is upto you.

As for questions on the assessment:

What's the max Zs on a TT'd circuit.

Max trip times for TT / TN.

RCD trip times

What does the R1+R2 test proove.

What are the max Ze for TT/TNC-s/TNS.

Minimum IR allowable.

What is the recomendation if low IR but not a fail is recorded.

Where in the regs will I find....

A few questions about what the other building regs are (regulation B (for burn)= fire regs / regulation A (looks like a roof truss) = structures) you get the idea

Basicaly there are any number of questions they ask, just remember they are not trying to catch you out & if you dont know off the top of your head dont try to blag it, use the books that's what they are for....

For those that dont know these are the building regs:

• (Part A) Structure
  • (Part B) Fire safety
  • (Part C) Site preparation and resistance to moisture
  • (Part D) Toxic substances
  • (Part E) Resistance to the passage of sound
  • (Part F) Ventilation
  • (Part G) Hygiene
  • (Part H) Drainage and waste disposal
  • (Part J) Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems
  • (Part K) Protection from falling, collision and impact
  • (Part L) Conservation of fuel and power
  • (Part M) Access to and use of buildings
  • (Part N) Glazing - safety in relation to impact, opening and cleaning
  • (Part P) Electrical safety

And if you go to the down load section, I belive they are there for you to down load.

Yes, free transfer is available across the schemes.

The NICEIC will want proof from ELECSA that you have had a recent assessment before they will transfer you. When I was with the NICEIC they gave you a written confirmation that you had passed an assessment, NAPIT on the other hand do not and trying to get something in writing from them when you want to transfer is like extracting blood from the proverbial stone, I know I've tried! I have no experience of ELECSA, so can't tell you if the transfer from them will be smooth or not.

All part p assessments are the same except the NICEIC want to see more examples of work than the other two schemes do.

i Transfered from Elecsa to the NIC DI, it was free, no issue at all, they asked for my reg no. and they done the rest, had a letter for my renewal and annual asssessment around the same time as usual, easy!

Infact i used the elecsa's technical helpline for around 6 months after id left them as i could get through quicker ssshhhhh!

I do know that my assessor has told me calibration cert is good enough even tho I do have a check box which I use weekly

Latest posts