Help with down lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35799

Reaction score
Hi all. About to get a kitchen fitted . Decided to get Luceco fire rated downlights. Have them as 2 rows of 3 to be ran off a double dimmer.Original wiring was a single pendant to a single switch.Junction box had 5 cables connected. My issue , the original switched line to switch works on one bank of down lights. Original switch line. However the cable I ran to switch to power second row of downlights , switched live. Now controls dining room light in separate room and the extractor fan in the kitchen. I have joined the cables into 8 way wagons, the 2 separate switched lines are in 2 way connector blocks.

I do not understand how the dimmer is turning on/off the dining room / extractor fan.

I have used both com and L2 at the dimmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest that the original junction box contained looped connection serving your dining room etc, and you have mixed them up with the feed to your new lights. As is often asked on here, did you take a photo of the original wiring?
If so, put it back as it was and start again. No-one on here can guess exactly what you have done wrong.

I suggest that the original junction box contained looped connection serving your dining room etc, and you have mixed them up with the feed to your new lights. As is often asked on here, did you take a photo of the original wiring?
If so, put it back as it was and start again. No-one on here can guess exactly what you have done wrong.
Thank you for the reply, yes i thought that might be the reason, when i turned the electric back on, there was no power to the dining room light, until i swapped around the live connections.
All the cables are now terminated into wago connectors, i will try and swap the live .

Thank you, I did think that was the reason, when i turned the electric back on, there was no power to the dinning room light, I swapped over a live , power went back to the dinning room light. will try swapping again . All cables from junction box are now terminated into wago connectors. Yes i did take a photo before hand

Well I have swapped over each live to the switched live . How the lights are now , dinning room ok, works as it should, one bank of spots turn on/off and dim, the other bank are on permanently,