Help with specifying new 3 phase supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A customer is building a new industrial unit on a new site as a woodworking shop. He asked me for help filling out the SSE supply request forms, but a few of the questions have me stumped:

What we want is a 3 phase supply up to 100A per phase, with a conventional 3 phase meter, so tails from supply fuses to meter, and tails from meter straight into 3 phase board.

How do I translate that simple requirement on to the form?

Metering: tick box to choose HH (Half Hourly) or NHH (not Half hourly) I don't have a clue what that means.

Meter type: CT (current transformer) of WC (Whole current) Well CT metering is for large current installs so I assume my "normal" meter is WC?

Also what KVA requirement should we put? He's not going to use much, probably no more than 2 machines at a time plus lighting and office stuff, but I don't want to under spec the supply. So my inclination is to ask for a "proper" 100A supply, i.e that would be 69KVA if all 3 phases were loaded to 100A. I think what I'm getting at here is the charges for installing the supply go in bands, i.e for domestic it's "up to 16KVA" or "over 16KVA" so does anyone know the equivalent bands for a 3 phase supply?

He's trying to get an adequate supply for as cheap as possible. He's even considering a 23KVA single phase supply and using a rotary single phase to 3 phase converter. I'm doing my best to persuade him that an industrial unit of 400 square meters really should have a 3 phase Supply.

I think the confusion is caused by the fact one form covers anything from a simple 1 phase LV 16KVA supply, up to a HV supply feeding an aluminium smelter.

Also, looking at the forms he has, it seems industrial users are getting charged high prices for their electricity, the cheapest tariff was listing 21p per unit, almost double the domestic rate. Ouch.

70KVA I reckon . Try ....

KVA = line amps X line Volts X 1.73

........... 1000

And as Kercher says ..... whole current metering.

Half hour stuff....no idea!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
HHM or half hour metering.

Used to be called MD metering or Max Demand

Meter records max current drawn in each 30 min period then resets to zero [but retains max value]....remember the old fashioned thermometers in greenhouses that pushed up a metal pin and it stayed there till you moved it back down with a magnet?? No? ...well it is like that anyway!!!

You are allocated an authorised usage by the DNO Tesco, Joes bar, BT or whoever. If you go over this value during Oct -Feb [usually] they come around, force you to assume 'the position' and ream you, whilst at the same time charging you a penalty for excessive demand AND making you pay more per unit than your normal rate [often for a 3 month period]

Well that is what they used to do around here.......... :coat

Just write on the form "I want 100A 3 Phase Supply" :yellow card
It doesn't work like that although that is what they probably will give you. When I have filled forms in for customers they generally want to know what the supply is for IE if you have heating loads motors ETC.

It doesn't work like that although that is what they probably will give you. When I have filled forms in for customers they generally want to know what the supply is for IE if you have heating loads motors ETC.
Batty, I was joking :coat

Batty, I was joking :coat
Bit slow there that's the second time today I've missed a joke. The other was to look at putting some lights up and the owner rang to confirm I was going. I had said I will need to put the washing out before I come. When I arrived the chap said the utility room is through there which was the joke. It is annoying when people miss your jokes.

Latest posts