hi all. new to forum just looking for some info.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowdenmx

Reaction score
Hi there. i hope this is all going to make sense lol. just looking for a little info realy so here we go.

Ive been working as an unqualified electrician now for approx 7years with various companys but have been with my current employer now for about 4years. ive been on the books working for him. long story short the company is folding and my boss has started up a new company but he can only take us back on as self employed workers/sub through his company. so he will be supplying the work as he allways has we just have to go SE. now ive never done this before and was just wondering how to go about doing this. im aware of paying my own taxes ect and expenses just dont realy know how to go about actualy doing it. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Manythanks in advance.

Ben

Have a look at HMRCs website, its fairly simple,

In fact me and the Mrs have been helping her niece go SE last week,

Get registered and get a UTR, thats it really,

Oh, and some insurance.

Have a look at HMRCs website, its fairly simple,In fact me and the Mrs have been helping her niece go SE last week,

Get registered and get a UTR, thats it really,

Oh, and some insurance.
Lovely. thanks alot guys.much appriciated

Your boss will prob pay you under the CIS scheme whereby he deducts your tax and pays you net :)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:54 ----------

Welcome to the forum btw :)

But isn't there a ruling that if ALL your work is SUB contracting to ONE contractor, then you should be on the books with him as an employee?

That ruling stops a SE electrician "employing" is wife as an accountant to do the books, unless wifey also does work for other people.

If wifey didn't do any work for anyone else, then the only legal way would be for her to be an employee to the electician, and not self employed in her own right.

Or has that daft restriction been lifted?

its about master slave now Dave I think,

as long as you are not on a set wage and you can show a financial risk for yourself then its ok,

thats how I understand it, and a firm I subby for a lot seem to agree with me, saying that, I dont work solely for one firm,

I do know it used to be something like >70% of work for one firm was frowned upon, so you may still have something there.

its about master slave now Dave I think,as long as you are not on a set wage and you can show a financial risk for yourself then its ok,

thats how I understand it, and a firm I subby for a lot seem to agree with me, saying that, I dont work solely for one firm,

I do know it used to be something like >70% of work for one firm was frowned upon, so you may still have something there.
I shall give them a call and see what what say. thanks guys

But isn't there a ruling that if ALL your work is SUB contracting to ONE contractor, then you should be on the books with him as an employee?That ruling stops a SE electrician "employing" is wife as an accountant to do the books, unless wifey also does work for other people.

If wifey didn't do any work for anyone else, then the only legal way would be for her to be an employee to the electician, and not self employed in her own right.

Or has that daft restriction been lifted?
You re correct - it is called the sexy title of IR35 and it is just how you say it is - CIS is a way round this as IR35 is to limit tax avoidance and the CIS scheme shows that it is being collected

I am not an accountant

I don't think its' changed,but I don't think they care anymore, ( They don't want you on the dole) as Stepps says " a financial risk " has to be involved as the criteria for SE in your situation ,so submit quotes for the jobs your boss gets you to do .