HI COULD YOU HELP ME PLEASE :-)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danni

Reaction score
Hi my names Danielle and Im new here :)

I have my city and guilds 2330 level 1 and 2 and peo level 2. I have also passed my 2391 however I have just finished a four year apprenticeship and am finding it verry hard to get another job as I keep getting replys stateing that I am not suitable :-( . I was wondering if you guys could help me to think of any companys I can apply for or any useful websites ???? Or even any more courses that would make me more employable???

If not how hard is it for me to set up my own company?

Thank you for your time

Hi.

if you haven`t got it; you WILL need 2382 (17th ed.).

Finding placements / positions is a regular problem from people in your situation.

Starting up: it isn`t the easiest thing going, long hours with not much to show for it, for a couple of years.) Plus, this isn`t the best economic environment for new businesses; but it CAN be done - remember that "setting up" costs can be a few thousand pounds. There is a page on setting up in business; but I`ll have to let someone else direct you to it - I`ve forgotten!

Good luck. and welcome to the forum.

Hi :)

thank you for your reply i already have my 17th its really frustrating because everyone wants an experianced electrician but how are you supposed to get that lol

ill keep trying tho

thank you :)

The old problem:

To get experience, you must be doing the work, but you can`t do the work `cos you don`t have the experience.

: headbang

I`m sure some of the younger members of the forum will be able to suggest things they`ve done.........

Hi Andy,

How much did you need to go out on your own and did you find it difficult?

thanks

Hi my names Danielle and Im new here :)I have my city and guilds 2330 level 1 and 2 and peo level 2. I have also passed my 2391 however I have just finished a four year apprenticeship and am finding it verry hard to get another job as I keep getting replys stateing that I am not suitable :-( . I was wondering if you guys could help me to think of any companys I can apply for or any useful websites ???? Or even any more courses that would make me more employable???

If not how hard is it for me to set up my own company?

Thank you for your time
Started on my own just over a year ago now. Can be difficult at times with the current economic situation, but I would say the pros outweigh the cons (slightly:D).

As you are already aware, there arn't many jobs around therefore starting on your own could be an option. Are you still employed with the company you did your apprenticeship with? If so then it would be an idea to do a few jobs for yourself (evenings & weekends) These could then be used for an assesment when you decide to join a scheme provider (NIC, Elecsa etc)

If you are currently unemployed then it will be more difficult to start on your own. Have you contacted any agencies in your area?

GS

Started on my own just over a year ago now. Can be difficult at times with the current economic situation, but I would say the pros outweigh the cons (slightly:D). As you are already aware, there arn't many jobs around therefore starting on your own could be an option. Are you still employed with the company you did your apprenticeship with? If so then it would be an idea to do a few jobs for yourself (evenings & weekends) These could then be used for an assesment when you decide to join a scheme provider (NIC, Elecsa etc)

If you are currently unemployed then it will be more difficult to start on your own. Have you contacted any agencies in your area?

GS
Hi ya thank you for your post :)

well Ive been working for the local government but I have only 2 weeks left of my contract so I dont really have time to build up a few jobs I was hopeing to go self employed as a last resort really but needs must ey :)

I was hopeing to go into domestic as thats what I feel most confident in. Ive contacted all agencies and job offers within 40 miles of southampton still no joy :red card

I am able to go out on my own but lack experiance in industrial etc and also am a bit nervous but i suppose this is normal ???

Hi ya thank you for your post :)well Ive been working for the local government but I have only 2 weeks left of my contract so I dont really have time to build up a few jobs I was hopeing to go self employed as a last resort really but needs must ey :)

I was hopeing to go into domestic as thats what I feel most confident in. Ive contacted all agencies and job offers within 40 miles of southampton still no joy :red card

I am able to go out on my own but lack experiance in industrial etc and also am a bit nervous but i suppose this is normal ???
If you where to start on your own, you could concentrate mainly on domestic installations? There are many threads on here regarding "goin it alone" and joining a scheme provider. Im sure someone will be kind enough to post a couple of links to these pages.

GS

Having just gone out on my own in the last two weeks (full time instead of eves and weekends) I can vouch for the fact that in the first year or two you have to expect to work long, long hours and graft. Then, when you get home there is all the paper work to keep up with. I spread the initial set up costs over a period of about 18 months, buying bits as and when required but it does run into thousands. Still, so far so good - I have enough work for myself and my business partner and long may it continue. Be hungry though or you will join the pile of failed ventures!

Having just gone out on my own in the last two weeks (full time instead of eves and weekends) I can vouch for the fact that in the first year or two you have to expect to work long, long hours and graft. Then, when you get home there is all the paper work to keep up with. I spread the initial set up costs over a period of about 18 months, buying bits as and when required but it does run into thousands. Still, so far so good - I have enough work for myself and my business partner and long may it continue. Be hungry though or you will join the pile of failed ventures!
Two years I always work long hours and I have been in business over ten years I don't think it get easier the longer you do it.

You will have to troll through some of my previous posts to find that working for yourself is hard, the work is the same, and all profit from any job is yours providing you get paid for it in the first place, thats the risk. I would not revert to working for any one again, but you have to have a determined approach and any set back you get you have to get right back into the game or your finished. The rewards for working for yourself are huge

1, some weeks you earn nothing

2, some weeks you need not get up early

3, some weeks you need each day to last for at least two

4, some weeks you wonder why

5, some weeks you say I am glad I made the move

6, some weeks you wished you worked for some one else

7, some weeks you wonder why you never went solo before

8, some weeks you say I will never look back

9, some weeks you wish you could just go home and sleep

and finally 10 every week you tell any one who asks "Its the best thing you have ever done"

#1 is always the hardest to accept, but then you can get the odd job that covers the bills for the month, and you can relax (a little)

Hi, Danni, welcome to the Forum , stay on board, you can learn a lot on here.

You say you are having problems getting a job , so , go for it on your own , as of this Monday tell yourself you are now self employed, inform HMRC .

You have an advantage that you should make work for you , you are a female electrician , some people would welcome you over a couple of sweaty, belching ,pharting , swearing , crotch scratching , smoking,football bores crawling over their house !!!! :D

I think women who live alone would perhaps trust a lady sparks not to be ripping them off (Moneywise I mean before Badger or Apache leap in thereO) :) )

Join a Part P provider ,you'll have no problem there, buy a van and get it lettered up , any advice ,stay on the Forum.

Once self employed ,try contacting other self employed sparks ,say, at your local wholesaler , or ask to leave your card , with a view to do a bit of sub-contracting / helping out/ covering holidays ,while you build up your own work.

Sod making money for other people , "The World is your Lobster , Rodders"

Deke

Hi, Danni, welcome to the Forum , stay on board, you can learn a lot on here. You say you are having problems getting a job , so , go for it on your own , as of this Monday tell yourself you are now self employed, inform HMRC .

You have an advantage that you should make work for you , you are a female electrician , some people would welcome you over a couple of sweaty, belching ,pharting , swearing , crotch scratching , smoking,football bores crawling over their house !!!! :D

I think women who live alone would perhaps trust a lady sparks not to be ripping them off (Moneywise I mean before Badger or Apache leap in there O) :) )

Join a Part P provider ,you'll have no problem there, buy a van and get it lettered up , any advice ,stay on the Forum.

Once self employed ,try contacting other self employed sparks ,say, at your local wholesaler , or ask to leave your card , with a view to do a bit of sub-contracting / helping out/ covering holidays .

Sod making money for other people , "The World is your Lobster , Rodders"

Deke
:coat you forgot this :^O