Hi everyone could do with some help.......

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace

Reaction score
Hi i have just joined and this is my first post. I could do with some wise words of advice as I am a bit lost. I will start with the story so far, bit boring but here goes....... I did my NVQ's level 1 and 2 in Electrical Installation in 1996 to 1999. I then worked for a year but never did my NVQ level 3 ( Usual reasons-fast women, slow cars and life got in the way). Moved on to work in various technical roles in factories but not electrical based. Worked as an electrical installer for a firm doing rewires in 2005. I then moved and had to take a job in a manufacturing again. Bear with me...... Last year I did my 17th edition wiring regulations and I help out friends and family with domestic electrical jobs mainly, usually for free just to keep my hand in. So, here I am now looking for work again. I have the old NVQ levels 1 and 2 in Electrical Installation and my 17th Edition Regs Certificate. Just wondering what to do and if anyone can give me any advice ? Thanks for reading and any advice is welcome. Times are hard right now and know jobs may be few and far between im just wondering what choices I have

All work is slow at the moment, construction looks like it is picking up a little. You could try signing with an agency to try and get you back on the tools, give you more experience, and meet people who are more likely to know where the work is.

Good luck.

Hi thanks for the replies. I was thinking self employed but what jobs could I realistically apply for with the qualifications i have? Once again thanks for takin time out to help!

If you do go self employed you will then get into part p otherwise you will be very limited in the work you can do legally and have to have certain quals to do this which is then a catch 22 situation if you know what I mean.

I would like to do more self employed work, would i need to do a part p course ? or is there another way? When i started my training there was no part p. Sorry if these questions seem obvious Im just really keen to get working. Its hard not being clued up about what I need and what I have to show. Thanks for any further replies guys

Ace,

"Strictly" there is no such thing as a Part P course!

Part P is a building reg.

If you want to do domestic installs without involving LABC then you need to join a scam and be assessed by them as competent.

At the moment it is not a good time to be going alone, try the agencies and see if you can complete your NVQ3 before it is finished.

Cheers for the advice. Do you think any electical firms would accept my qualifications that i have? What legally could i call myself? an electrical installer?

A good idea would be to get your JIB card, Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (CSCS Affiliated)

This will allow you to apply for site work, and would be required if you sign up to most agencies, I say most, because I once had a chef turn up at one job!

I do not know the full scales of employment given your certificates, but would have thought it would be electricians mate/improver, I am sure the forum members with more experience of levels of employment will put you right.

I would like to do more self employed work, would i need to do a part p course ? or is there another way? When i started my training there was no part p.
Yes.

Move about 100 or so miles north over the border into Scotland.

We don't have Part P up here, so your qualifications are okay to just start work.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone has been really helpful. I have applied for copies of my NVQ's from city and guilds and i have enquired to what ECS card i can obtain. I am going to do a BTEC level 3 as i cant at the minute do my NVQ 3 with my current work commitments. Going to do my 2391 and then apply for part p. I know im going to have to work hard in my current job and do alot overtime to finally pay for these courses but you guys have really boosted my confidence. Thanks everyone and any input is always much appreciated. I hope with my nvq's 1and 2, btec level 3, 17th edition wiring regs cert, c&g 2391 and my part p i can finally find a job as a spark. Either that or work as a domestic electrician self employed.

NIC and nappit require a level 3 I.e 2330 and the 2391...... That's it I believe?

If you get level 3 you don't need to do part p

Is that the case ? Would BTEC level 3 count ? that would be fantastic! Thanks for the reply

Couldn't he apply as an Improver.

Could complete his NVQ L3 within 6months

What is it?

If you want to do the n.v q 3 you'll have to register quick. Did you complete the level 3 tech cert as this will have a bearing on weather you will have to do the am2 or have an assessment. I registered with Delta training and the difference with having or not having the completed tech cert was a couple of hundred quid. If you get your jib card it will have labourer or electrical improver on it I think, but you can earn good money on some sites as a mate without the hassle and responsibility of going in as a spark. If your going to go it alone dont jump ship on your current job until you can build up some custom and make some contacts.

Hi all.

Been really busy with my day to day job and 'helping' a few friends with electrical work. Done a complete kitchen, total new install and it passed its inspection last week. Had to get a spark in to do the testing and I was made up it flew through. Been looking at my options and im going to do my 2391 and trying to get my nvq3 sorted aswell. Hard though as im employed in a non electrical role so im thinking i could maybe use some my own work to supplement my portfolio for the course. I need to enquire bout this as I know its usually done through your employer. Also does anyone know if I set up a business as a small trader can i claim my VAT back for the courses ? Once again guys thanks for all the help

If you are going to concentrate on domestic, I would set yourself up as a sole trader and then put your course/s down as a business expense to offset your tax payments.

Hi all.Been really busy with my day to day job and 'helping' a few friends with electrical work. Done a complete kitchen, total new install and it passed its inspection last week. Had to get a spark in to do the testing and I was made up it flew through. Been looking at my options and im going to do my 2391 and trying to get my nvq3 sorted aswell. Hard though as im employed in a non electrical role so im thinking i could maybe use some my own work to supplement my portfolio for the course. I need to enquire bout this as I know its usually done through your employer. Also does anyone know if I set up a business as a small trader can i claim my VAT back for the courses ? Once again guys thanks for all the help
You have to be vat registered to claim vat back but I think you can back date it up to a certain time a call to a vat office would be easiest to confirm they are usually helpful. Are you sure there is vat on courses?

NIC and nappit require a level 3 I.e 2330 and the 2391...... That's it I believe?If you get level 3 you don't need to do part p
Where did you get this from? I wasn't aware you could DO part p.

I'm NIC and they didn't ask for any of those. I have 2391 but they simply wanted 17th edition.

Latest posts