Hi From A New Member

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kibble

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm unfamiliar with "talking" on-line & posting, so please forgive me whilst I learn on this forum.

I am from an electronic engineering background mostly radio telecom's, but I'm retired now. My hobbies include exploring old mines, restoration of vintage radio's & telephones, and more relevant to this forum the early development of electric distribution & installation. I am also interested in how early development continue to effect future designs in different regions/countries such as polarised domestic plugs in the UK & non-polarised in much of Europe.

As a DIY'er I have done several domestic rewires over the years in the UK, Italy, & Canada. I have the reg/code books for UK, North America, South Africa, Australia, NZ. Also wiring books (not reg/code) for other countries. Some of my books are rather old though, some dating back to the 1890's. If that's not sad enough I also have sample of electrical fitting from various counties obtained during holiday visits!

I have found this forum to be very interesting especially the black museum. Unfortunately as a new member I am unable to see most of the posted photos until I have ten posts, so I guess I'll have to think of something interesting to post.

say 'hi' to everyone who says 'hi' to you - that'll clock a few posts.
Hi Binky,

Seems a bit cheeky saying hi to everyone individually just to up the post count, but I really would like to see the many photos on the site.

So thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Canoeboy,

Thanks for the welcome. I like mad houses they have character.

Tried to quote & add an emicon but got an error message that I don't have rights to attach links : (

Hi m4tty,

Thanks for your welcome.

A friendly welcome does help calm the nerves when venturing into somthing new.

Hi m4tty,

Thanks for your welcome.

A friendly welcome does help calm the nerves when venturing into somthing new.

OOPs

trying to make new posts but just adding to the last!

Sorry I'll have to read the Help files!

try now,

if you post too quickly it adds it to your previous post,

I suppose its to stop cluttering up too much,

and welcome, I hope you have deep pockets, the bar can be expensive at times, depending on KME's mood,  :|

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steptoe,

Thanks for letting me know my mistake, makes sense now you mention it. Hope the learning curve isn't too steep, & thanks for the welcome.

You'll be glade to know my pockets are deep, they have holes in them.

I notice some posts have been edited, and I'd like to edit one of mine. Unfortunately I have not been able to discover how, tried searching "edit post" without luck.

Sorry for newbie questions.

once you make a post there is a button at the bottom of it that you can click,

it is a timed availability though, 5 mins from the post made i think,

its to stop people going back and changing earlier posts, thus rendering perhaps the next comment meaningless.

Hi misssweden,

Thanks for the welcome & the opportunity to up my posts to the magic 10.

Evening.

I really don`t care how deep your pockets are ( it`s just Albert that thinks otherwise).....however, the constant replenishment of the beer fridge costs me money, and I pass that along, in the form of an "honesty box".

Insofar as: Until someone crosses my palm with coin - the padlock doesn`t come off the beer fridge door. Simples :)

Oh. Lest I forget. Welcome. I have some old textbooks too ( including old thermionic valve references books (and the associated valves)). Saddo - but hey-ho :)

Hi kme,

Glad to hear I'm not the only saddo, & thanks for the welcome.

I also have a small collection of valves although few of the really early ones work, but bright emitters don't have a long operating life.

PS are all the beers kept in the fridge?

Hi kme,

Glad to hear I'm not the only saddo, & thanks for the welcome.

I also have a small collection of valves although few of the really early ones work, but bright emitters don't have a long operating life.

PS are all the beers kept in the fridge?
no,

I have some hidden in the shed, I dont like mine too cold, gives me cramp,

plus, it helps in emergencies,  :)

but, dont tell anyone,  :|

Taking the important points first:

Of course we keep the beers in the fridge! What do you take us for? Philistines from Bongo-bongo land??? 

What good is a beer than isn`t in a fridge, FCOL ??? ( unless you live in Iceland - in which case it probably doesn`t matter :slap )

( or Alaska)

( erm.... or Canada?)

Albert might have some out-of-date tinnies he`s kept for a rainy day; in case there was no-one available to restock an empty fridge :God no:

I`ve tried the odd McKewans "red death" that wasn`t too cool....it`s palatable, but only if you`ve had a few already :slap

Last edited by a moderator:
So no home brew then or cellar?

The fridge is ok for the summer off the shelf stuff, but I prefer more traditional brew stored at cellar temp.