Hive Thermostat Install - Old Thermostat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thermostat live and switched live (assuming that’s brown and grey) are in terminals 5 and 7 of the wire centre

So now you have to determine which brown core is from the Heat demand on programmer, given that the cables are marked l & ll you should have same marking at the wiring centre. Trace out this cable and join to valve brown. Be sure to remove all three cores from the thermostat cable from the wiring centre. 

Just to confirm because I’m an idiot.

brown core from heat demand is the core that’s currently in CH on at the programmer? And this is to go into terminal 5 at the wiring centre which also has a brown core at the other end which seems to be connected to the white valve? And all of this only to be done once the all 3 cores from the thermostat are removed?

Here’s the end result:

6-E20-A186-F56-D-46-C4-9225-54-AE52-EBE455.jpg.9de968d339507701be6bd0578743bde7.jpg

excuse the masking tape on the thermostat cores I’ve ran out of labels!

appreciate I should probably also disconnect the ground.

the cores are disconnected now and assuming all this works what’s the safest way to store them at the wire centre? Appreciate they’re no connected to anything but just leaving them floating around doesn’t seem like a good idea?

I've had to leave the house now (we've not actually moved in yet!).

However looking at my photos again the brown core in terminal 5 seems to actually be connected to the black cable.. bit tricky to see 100% as the orange cable is in front of it so that's my mistake.

Will double check when I'm next there and then give it all a try.

Feel like I owe you a beer, I've sent you a PM.