hnc vs 2391?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas123

Reaction score
Looking to do a hnc in electrical services for buildings, is it a lot harder than the 2391?

YES!

Also more work & a different slant on te subject matter.

HNC will not teach you I&T in the way 2391 will.

It will teach you maths, design, scence, theory, but very little prac, unless it has changed since I did mine!!!

In my day - HNC - 1 day a week day release for 2 years - entry criteria - ONC or 2 A levels. I did Electrical Engineering - not biased towards buildings.

2391 - 8 weeks night school. Some background in electrics.

If you have an academic brain and put the work in then HNC is certainly a nice qualification to have when you're starting out. You will probably not apply much of it - but you will have jumped a significant hurdle.

Most electrician jobs call for 2391. Electrical Engineering is a bit different. HNC might be useful - but I suspect job experience would be the clincher.

With good exam technique neither require a great deal of practical experience. After HNC the 2391 should be fairly easy.

I didnt find the 2391 too bad to be honest, my employer wont let me have the day off anyway :( so its out the window.

Might call up a meeting to discuss what i can do to make them let me, e.g unpaid leave on that day plus work saturday for single time.

Fingers crossed

just wondering, what follows on to the hnc in electrical services for buildings? can you top it up to a degree in electrical services for buildings? or is it just a degree in building services?

Also, i'd have to do this out of working hours, e.g open university, (although i cant find the course on their website.

Has anyone done it this way? and what uni allows you to do it this way?

cheers

just wondering, what follows on to the hnc in electrical services for buildings? can you top it up to a degree in electrical services for buildings? or is it just a degree in building services?Also, i'd have to do this out of working hours, e.g open university, (although i cant find the course on their website.

Has anyone done it this way? and what uni allows you to do it this way?

cheers
OU don't do degrees in building services, they seem to have dropped a lot of their electrical/electronic engineering courses as when I was doing A & D electronics I was informed that a lot of engineering courses are sponsored by companies. in the required fields.

thomas123,

Can't respond tonight have too much to finish before 04:00 start.

I did my degree with the OU.

Stick around & I'll try to guide you if I can.

The "name" of your degree is not that important, what is important is what you learn and how you learn on the way.

As, undergraduate, and, post graduate, study is a different kettle of fish to C&G & BTEC (HNC/D) stuff.

from memory when i was looking at doing it, the process was something like this,

2 years one day a week HNC

1 year one day a week to top up to HND

then jump into the second year of a degree compete in two years one day a week

I'm going to enrol on the 2391-20 ready for september, as i can do it in the nights. Does this qualification make much difference to your career possibilities?

Design, Erection & Verification of Electrical Installations is a useful qualifiaction thomas123, but is rarely (i.e. never) asked for. That said, it can be advantageous when you apply for a job where other candidates don't have it.

2391-1 would be a much more useful qual to have,

2391-2 is IMHO a bit of a waste of time and paper, no-one gives it any credit really from what I can glean.

2391-1 would be a much more useful qual to have,2391-2 is IMHO a bit of a waste of time and paper, no-one gives it any credit really from what I can glean.
oh, i was hoping that wasnt the case, any advice on another course i could do? I've done the 2391-10.