Hole in one today!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure i have mentioned it here before but again, It was a long, long time ago that i was drilling a hole through an internal wall to wire a 2 way switch. I unfortunately hit a wall plate (timber) and did not have a long enough auger with me so i carried on bludgeoning the sds through. Bang through the first layer, checked the other side and nothing so assumed it was the skirting. Carried on again and eventually got through. Pushed a good few metres of cable through the hole and went into the room. There was the 3 core right through the leg of an antique 4 poster bed :eek: , the type with angle irons holding the end boards together. I quickly pulled the cable out and fitted some trunking along the wall. All i could think of at the time was getting some mud from the garden, which i mixed to a paste and filled the hole :pray which worked. I even got a tip at the end of the job. :worship

I am sure i have mentioned it here before but again, It was a long, long time ago that i was drilling a hole through an internal wall to wire a 2 way switch. I unfortunately hit a wall plate (timber) and did not have a long enough auger with me so i carried on bludgeoning the sds through. Bang through the first layer, checked the other side and nothing so assumed it was the skirting. Carried on again and eventually got through. Pushed a good few metres of cable through the hole and went into the room. There was the 3 core right through the leg of an antique 4 poster bed :eek: , the type with angle irons holding the end boards together. I quickly pulled the cable out and fitted some trunking along the wall. All i could think of at the time was getting some mud from the garden, which i mixed to a paste and filled the hole :pray which worked. I even got a tip at the end of the job. :worship
Don't you hate it when that happens though.

ROTFWL

the tip you had was probably please dont drill our lovely old antiqe bedlegs next time you drill our wall you plank! :slap :^O

I stopped drilling when a spout of water started to come up from the floor.
That would be a good point to stop there, Prodave ; \ :slap :slap

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 13:29 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Drilled a fairly small hole through a 12" wall for a pyro once, apprentice can't get the cable to come through so I warn him that I'm going to look through the hole so he doesn't poke my eye out.

I bend down and and peer through the hole, apprentice decides to blow through it at same time , result , eyeful of dry brick dust , very painful .

That would be a good point to stop there, Prodave ; \ :slap :slap---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 13:29 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Drilled a fairly small hole through a 12" wall for a pyro once, apprentice can't get the cable to come through so I warn him that I'm going to look through the hole so he doesn't poke my eye out.

I bend down and and peer through the hole, apprentice decides to blow through it at same time , result , eyeful of dry brick dust , very painful .
i hope you gave him his :coat :slap , anyway that was your on fault partally as you should have been wearing eye protection :p

i hope you gave him his :coat :slap , anyway that was your on fault partally as you should have been wearing eye protection :p
Go on Badge....you tell him mate..... :run

This threads got me in stitches! :D

I remember as a kid watching my dad nail some boards down upstairs (right outside the airing cupboard) the last nail when banged down created a perfect 2 foot water spout that Wile E Coyote wud have been proud of :0)

Another from my Dad - he used to do odd jobs for an old lady that lived across town, one day he put up a new fence for her. To get the panels on site he laid 2 bits of 2x4 on the roof of his car, laid the panles on that and lashed em down.

Throughout the day, kept going back for another panel and another, finished the job, had a cup of tea, got in the car and drove off. First junction he came too he watches 2 planks of 2x4 spear thru the air off the top of the car as he brakes lol proper Only fools and Horses moment

He admitted to me that he drove off quick smart too embarrassed to pick them up lmao this was 30 years ago and he aint changed bless him

nice story sprocket!

Reminds me of in the apprentice days, me and the supervisor rushing to finnish a job in wigan, then off to another in the town centre. Drove about a half a mile before he had to stop at the lights, and there they were, the extention ladders coming down the roof, bonnet and into the back of the van in front. Luckily the guy wasn't too bothered and we spent the rest of the journey blaming each other.

This threads got me in stitches! :D I remember as a kid watching my dad nail some boards down upstairs (right outside the airing cupboard) the last nail when banged down created a perfect 2 foot water spout that Wile E Coyote wud have been proud of :0)
few years ago my dad refurbished his flat. plenty leaks there....

big drop on gas. found the problem to a tee piece. old 3/4 imperial onto 22mm.... slight gap around....

and then a few other screws through pipes etc.... even though all boards were marked with pipe locations....

and finally, whilst putting the board back down from fixing leak, through another pipe. but instead of leaving the screw in place to hold the water until turned off, he removed the screw first

Oh and theres me thinking it was all HIS fault !! :C I can still feel that dry brick dust .
Education time now......An apprentice does not have faults EE.....everything they do is....DELIBERATE !!! ROTFWL