Home Made Tncs !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!!

Here is a good one!!

Now, i am sorting out the electrics on a house i inherited [so i know its history] Earthing by the way, is TNS.

Anyway, back in 1988 the then electricity board [sWEB??] came along and fitted a new cutout and meter. All very good, apart from their provision for earthing... Cable to the house is 70 odd year old PILCSWA. Sooooo, what they do?? Cut back the armour to expose the lead sheath, wrap black insulating tape around the sheath and top of the wire armour ends [the tar and stringy stuff having long since fallen off] and fit the new cutout complete with molten pitch.

All very nice, apart from that they decided that they would provide for earthing, by fitting a BS 951 to the armoured bit of the cable. [instead of re-fitting the little tag thing that was fitted to the cable sheath before]

Fitting BS 951 clamps to cables is very much frowned upon now, but it was quite the thing in them days apparently. Anyway, turns out that Ze is 2.2 ohms when measured from phase to armour, but 0.29 when measured from phase to lead sheath.

I asked a WPD cable jointer about this once, well, after explaining my figures, what i actually asked him, was why the huge discrepancy in the readings and do they not link the armour of the service to the armour of the main when they fitted service cables. I was told; "some jointers do, some do not"

Now, i know that earthing to the armour is not going to give you such a good earth as connecting to the sheath, [As an asides, the armour in the cable itself is insulated from the sheath] but i thought it would be better than that, as the conductivity of lead and iron is about the same.

Anyway, If i get hold of WPD i expect they will deny they fitted the BS951 and tell me to TT the lot. What is to stop me though, just fitting an earth cable to the neutral block and having "home made" PME ???

I know that if you ask the DNO in most areas they will "convert" your system to "PME" for several hundred quid, but, and this is a HUGE MASSIVE but, I cannot see how this is possible without digging up the street, as, i always thought that one of the things with "PME", was that they had to rod the joint between service and main when they made the connection????

Happily for me, i KNOW that the lead sheath and neutral are linked only about 3 feet further along the main, i saw it with my own eyes. This i think, is the reason for the very good Ze when i test to the sheath, it would be, it is tied to the neutral 30 feet away

Could I not just earth to the neutral block and off i go, as this is all the DNO's do with their "conversions" only i got a rodded service joint with mine!!!! or should i just get one of them "constant force spring" earthing gizmos and leave it as TNS...

I know i am not meant to do this, and should leave it to the DNO, but they will just tell me that "we never fitted the BS951, and so we have not provided an earth up to now, and so best you go and provide your own..

What you all think???

john....

Just had a WPD PME for nowt!

Ring them and ask them to check it out for the possibility of a PME earth being provided, this is free, and, if they find issues they have to correct them under ESQCR...

As above I found a problem with a supply, within the day an engineer turned up (yes they call them engineers now), a new cut out was provided along with a suitable earth.

ALL FOR FREE

Hi all!

Seems WPD are very nice people!! Must admit, in all the dealings i have had with them they have been great! [leaving out trying to fit undersized service cables, [try telling them the cable is the wrong size...] then turning up with one the right size, [Yeh] but was too short, [Awwww] damaging my meter box and then forgetting to do the screws up in the cutout!!!

Must have been on a bad day!!!

john

Was mostly TT round my way. Then UKPN decided they would upgrade the lines and offer PME so a lot of the knock down rebuilds get this. All well and good until the thieving diddys started hacking of the new cabling! Gets nicked/replaced and so it goes on. I'll stick with my rod I think! Reckon the PME Ze would vary more than my TT month on month! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Canoe,

Yes a spring clamp would be good, but i have no idea where to get one if i wanted. I know where i could buy hundreds, but one... alas no!!

john..

Hi Kerching,

I can well imagine that in a squabble between a cable sheath and a 951 there would only be one winner, and i would not like to get caught in the cross fire either!!! Wonder why the DNO's used them and how many they fitted?? I have seen a few, you lot must have seen thousands...

Wonder how many DNO cable jointers got fried before they decided that crushing a paper insulated cable of 16mm or thereabouts, and for all practical purposes no overcurrent protection, was possibly not a good idea!!!!!

john....

Apprento 87  Most of those earth clamps  (or 951s as you call them) have been fitted by electricians over the years , not the DNO s .   They used to fit a copper jobby with a pin & nut to the lead sheaths  probably back to the 1930s .  They often had a bit of bare 2.5 mm   wrapped round them . 

And yes they can crush the lead sheath .as said ,  just ask for an earth terminal & let them get on with it . 

Latest posts