House purchase - old electrics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, already realised I'm close to having a written spec of sorts. Thanks all.

Next I'll be discussing with the buying couple and trying to find local tradesmen in a few disciplines. I have a few recommendations already.

Location is Stafford, Staffs.

They need to get the purchase over the line first of course.

Absolutely it is.

Hopefully they'll take advice from what I pass on from all the good comments here.

I am indeed the parent, just trying to help.
Knowing that it might be easy to do a bare minimum rewire, redecorate and then regret not thinking of something at a later date.

All contributions here have been very helpful.

How do you guys approach this sort of job for a customer who just says "rewire my house"?

One thing I would suggest if major rewiring work is needed is to install some large oval conduits to selected points to facilitate the future installation of AV, data network cabling / fibre optic without causing major decoration damage and it is usually better to install more capacity than you think you will need, I did this 25 years ago and a little while ago found out I needed more capacity than I had installed having added a lot of AV and comms cables over the years
With the ever changing delivery methods for TV, on demand video, high bandwidth broadband etc it could save a lot of future issues routing cables to where they are needed

Knowing that it might be easy to do a bare minimum rewire, redecorate and then regret not thinking of something at a later date.

How do you guys approach this sort of job for a customer who just says "rewire my house"?
Initially ask what they want then discuss options they may want to consider or haven't thought about I hate the wouldn't it be nice if you could just............ part way through or just as you finish the job

I word listen to the customer and then draft up an outline spec, room by room adding items in red that they may not have thought about, such as outdoor electrics, loft electrics etc etc with a rough price

Then get them to comment

Any sort of work large or small requires some form of formal agreement, before doing anything..
Smaller tasks can be done verbally..
But anything involving rewiring needs a written itemised schedule otherwise you leave your self open to all sorts nightmares with the customer adding extras that were never previously agreed or costed.

Would you place an online order with Tesco's and just say "Do my shopping"?
Or go to a travel agents and say "Book me a holiday"?
Ask a decorator to "Just paint my house"?

Without some formal specification nothing is going to happen as its impossible to work out any costs! .

Quite right, stupid question, sorry.

I think I was wondering if you had a standard schedule with tick boxes or something. But in reality I guess houses are all so different that's not realistic.

I think I was wondering if you had a standard schedule with tick boxes or something. But in reality I guess houses are all so different that's not realistic.

It is not just the houses... It is the requirements of the occupants that is the key factor for what is needed during a re-wire..

e.g. consider a semi-detached property two identical three-bedroom homes, one half occupied by a young family with three children, eldest aged 11.. the other half occupied by a single widowed 67 year old..

Assuming they are all in good health and will live for another 10+ years.. with no intention of moving house..
But both properties will require a full re-wire within the next 4 or 5 years...

The electrical requirements of the two identical properties will differ significantly!!
Hence there is no such thing as a standard re-wire even for two very similar properties..

In my opinion there is no point adding wiring that you will never use or need....
just in case you think it may help an unknown person who may or may not ever purchase your property at a later date!

Just as there is no need buying a seven seater car if you only need four seats...
But you think it may be easier to re-sell a seven seater when you finally do want to get a new car!

No such thing as a stupid question.

People gave far more gadgets these days, so more sockets are required. My parents bought their house in 1966, they were pleased they had a single socket in every bedroom. These days you need at least 3 doubles in a bedroom to cope with phone chargers, radios, TV, clocks bedside lamps and hairdryers.

ighting circuits - how common is it now for LN+CPC to be looped to all switch positions rather than ceiling roses?
Almost all new builds are wired this way now, however on a rewire it really depends on if there are conduits in the wall for existing switch drops (like for like) and how much making good or redecorating you are prepared to do. If you chose to altar the wiring arrangement.