How are BG light switches perceived among electricians?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alla Musica

Reaction score
I used to rent an apartment that came with BG light switches.

Electricians here in the UK seem to be largely in favor of MK Logic Plus, Click Mode, and Hager Sollysta for wiring accessories. Indeed, at least MK Logic Plus has been a staple in schools and hospitals etc.

On the other hand, BG rarely gets mentioned in these scenarios.

Could anyone please suggest a reason for this, e.g. any particular quality concerns?

------

UPDATE 21/10/2023: I was previously having difficulty in deciding among MK Logic+ (now no longer a choice due to poor terminal screws), Hager Sollysta, and Click Mode, and later came up with BG as a further alternative choice. Thus I'd like to hear from others before deciding.

Last edited:
Electricians here in the UK seem to be largely in favor of MK Logic Plus, Click Mode, and Hager Sollysta for wiring accessories.

Interested to know how have you come to this conclusion..?

Just your personal gut feeling?
Or have you done any formal research...?
(e.g. questionnaires complied by a random sample of tradespersons?)

I'm not working in the industry (nor will I) - I'm an overseas music student, just nonetheless interested in lighting and accessories.

Or is the OP an employee of BG ?
Sorry, I'm not working in the industry (nor will I) - I'm an overseas music student here in the UK, just nonetheless interested in lighting and accessories.
Interested to know how have you come to this conclusion..?

Just your personal gut feeling?
Or have you done any formal research...?
(e.g. questionnaires complied by a random sample of tradespersons?)
I used to discuss these on another forum.

Never had a problem with BG accessories just prefer the look of Click Mode.
Thanks for this.

I received my Click mode yesterday - liked it, and the rockers take little force to press on (unlike my previous BG which took more pressure to operate) - but their sharp edges and loud clicking noises!

Based on the look, BG is so far my favorite...

Electricians here in the UK seem to be largely in favor of MK Logic Plus, Click Mode, and Hager Sollysta for wiring accessories. Indeed, at least MK Logic Plus has been a staple in schools and hospitals etc.
It is a very long time since I have regarded MK as a quality make. Hager, Click Mode and Schneider are quality makes in my opinion, BG are okay but nothing special. And good old Crabtree are not bad either.

It is a very long time since I have regarded MK as a quality make. Hager, Click Mode and Schneider are quality makes in my opinion, BG are okay but nothing special. And good old Crabtree are not bad either.
I would say Crabtree is the choice for many schools I've worked in.

Cheers!

I messed with my MK yesterday; the screws needed plenty of torque to move (somewhere halfway through) and as a result the screws melted slightly.

Nearly pissed off with MK Logic Plus which is otherwise a quality product!

I think my thoughts are similar to yours not used much MK since the mid to late 80's when they fitted their sockets with that stupid shutter arrangement and they were subject of a HTM that stopped their use in NHS buildings when most of the work I did at the time was in hospitals and health centres so Crabtree became the first choice for accessories
I normally use Click Mode accessories these days and sometimes the Schneider Lisse, I like the click switches as you can have different switch types (1 & 2 way, intermediate and double pole) in the same multi switch plate
Crabtree was my first choice upto 10 - 15 years ago but not many wholesalers stock it these days especially the ones I use

MK used to be one of the best manufacturers but now MK stands for Making Krap ...........
Totally agreed. While I do appreciate its plastic for being sturdy, utter shame on their terminal screws!

Just wondering too, are there any other quality concerns with the MK Logic+? I have a few unused MK Logic+ that are no longer eligible for return...

MK advertise as Made in The UK and show a pic of their double switched socket. I'm pretty certain that that is the ONLY item that is made in the UK! I've had switches (MK ) made in France, Vietnam Nam and other gaffs
I have a few unused MK Logic+ myself and they're all labeled "Made in UK". On the other hand, other series including MK Essentials are indeed manufactured elsewhere - in this case, China.

@Alla Musica interesting that your avatar shows 5gang Clipsal,Modular switches!
I have the 5g version in my dining room
Thanks for your appreciation. The avatar was shot at home in China. It's not Clipsal though it does look the same. It's by Feidiao (飞雕), a Chinese brand specializing in bathroom heaters.

Also, I'm less interested in those old Clipsal as the plastic tend to deteriorate quicker than the new Schneider or other brands. Not sure Feidiao could do better but by far (after 2 years of use) it still looks okay. Hope yours could last (given our expectation that Clipsal should however be promising quality-wise).

The reason why I had to use 5-gang was because I added Varilight dimmers at the bottom, and 6 gangs were affected and had to go up.

I can only echo what has been said already, I only really fitted MK but that all changed about 20 years ago, MK went from being top of the class to at best average. Click Mode for me now.
Re Crabtreee I have fitted a few of them and they are good I just keep forgetting about them except when it comes to there shower pull cords then they are the only ones to fit.
Re BG I do like their garage consumer units

My preferences are Legrand and Hamilton , it's what I have in my own house. A good switch doesn't go 'clunk', like cheap stuff, it has a softer feel because it 'wipes' the contacts, which keeps them cleaner and prevents arcung damage to the contacts.

BG is ok, it's budget gear but seems to work well enough.

Latest posts