how can I become a electrician?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishtank

Reaction score
Hi all

I am from China and I am doing Mechanical Engineering (undergraduate, level 1) in the UK. Basically, my course is not difficult for me so I have a lot of free time. For my future career, I want to become a electrician. I think this is good for a mechanical engineer.

My first diploma was electronic engineering and I have got some some qualification for network engineer. So I have some knowledge about electrician. I have read some document but confused about how to become a electrician in my situation. BTW, I am very good at self study.

Could somebody give me some advice?

Thanks.

There are private learning courses which you can do in your own time and pace also might be worth looking at local colleges for any night school classes ( a lot cheaper).

Having said this none of these will make you a electrician they will only start you on a path which can be quite long but in the end rewarding.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum fishtank.

You could study at night school, which will give you the theory, but then you would have to find someone who could take you for a few days a week or at weekends to get on the job experiance.

Passing the exams would not be a problem for you looking at your short introduction, but the problem will always be the experiance.

Welcome to the forum, Fishtank.

I would suggest the "Going to College, Part-Time - Evenings" route.

Usually, twice a week.

If you have experience (Yes, In your case), look for the City & Guilds 2330. Start at level 2, then cmplete it by doing the level 3 too.

You will also need the "17th Regulations" one too, so look at City & Guilds 2382-10 (C&G).

When you have them, we can work out more. (should you wish to).

We have a College Directory on this very forum. :D

Click the link below and use the special "Search College" facility.

Click here to find a college (Electrician Courses)

If you want to become a domestic installer then do a 5 day course called Full Scope Part P and you can register with NIC/ELECSA/NAPIT and do anything electrical in domestic houses. Hard Hat on ROTFWL