How Can I Trust Electricians Opinions On Rewire?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some really interesting discussion here, it does seem like the consensus is that a full rewire is needed though. I will make sure to check the board used and avoid the RCD's. Anything else I should be looking out for or requesting in a quote?

The only thing that will help is if you have a spec for each contractor to quote against....

go room by room and write down what you want

EG

LIVING ROOM

6 x double sockets

1 x TV point

1 x BT point

1 x pendant

2 x wall lights

1 x double light switch

1 x smoke alarm

also think about if you want plastic or metal finish accessories

and if you want them to arrange the plastering of any chases

Frankly  cant be arsed finding the numbers but

cicuits  shall be designed and installed to minimise inconvenience.....dua. RCD HALVES inconvenience and does NOT minimise it

a fault on one circuit should not influence another,,,,,,,..........dual,RCD turns half the board off, so it has influenced other circuits

Quod Est demonstrandum

Ipso Facto

spaghetti carbonara

There's (apparently)  also that the RCD shouldn't protect circuits that exceed its rating and the the max leakage of combined circuits shouldn't be any more than 9mA (I think) 

Last edited by a moderator:
There's (apparently)  also that the RCD shouldn't protect circuits that exceed its rating and the the max leakage of combined circuits shouldn't be any more than 9mA (I think) 

Ah ha ..... the I’ll thought out 18th edition strikes again.

we can apply diversity, but not to mcb’s protected by a rcd ......

9 mA how daft is that ..... you design and install a circuit, yet you have absolutely no control over what’s plugged in.

i despair.

Frankly  cant be arsed finding the numbers but

cicuits  shall be designed and installed to minimise inconvenience.....dua. RCD HALVES inconvenience and does NOT minimise it

a fault on one circuit should not influence another,,,,,,,..........dual,RCD turns half the board off, so it has influenced other circuits

Ok, I see where you are going with this.  So you only install CU with RCBO's for each circuit.  I bet that can get expensive.

Ok, I see where you are going with this.  So you only install CU with RCBO's for each circuit.  I bet that can get expensive.
Correct .....not my circus , not my monkeys

my line of work does not involve much domestic stuff. If it does it is on recommendation from at least three other customers or mates.

I can make more money with a lot less effort doing other stuff

The inconvenience and fault investigations costs can be very expensive when you lose power to half or more of a property.  Full RCBO boards are not that expensive when costed as part of a full rewire. An intermittent RCD trip can be very time consuming to correctly identify on a Dual RCD board.

Doc H

The title covers it pretty much, how do I trust an electricians opinion on a rewire?

I'm purchasing a house and the electrician who came to have a look at the property said I'd need a full house rewire. Not being an electrician means I obviously don't know if it needs one and the electrician is clearly in favour of a rewire that'll cost around £3k. 

How can I tell if I really need a rewire?
Do you always just purchase any other product  by only viewing one supplier?  Far better to compare at least three suppliers.  And only consider written itemised quotes with a clear schedule of work.

Doc H

Do you always just purchase any other product  by only viewing one supplier?  Far better to compare at least three suppliers.  And only consider written itemised quotes with a clear schedule of work.

Doc H
Getting more quotes was my intention but getting advice here from 10 independent people who know what they are talking about is an even better start, I can at least talk with the next electricians with a basic understanding of what I want/need 😏

Thanks for the advice chaps!

Photo's suggest that you need a rewire.  And a new camera🙄

Surely you will be buying this property KNOWING it needs a rewire, and knowing it will need a whole heap of other work as well.  It lies somewhere between a renovation project, and a doer upper.   Probably closer to the renovation project.  As such the price you pay should reflect the work needed and you should not be surprised at the money pit you are about to buy.

Surely you will be buying this property KNOWING it needs a rewire, and knowing it will need a whole heap of other work as well.  It lies somewhere between a renovation project, and a doer upper.   Probably closer to the renovation project.  As such the price you pay should reflect the work needed and you should not be surprised at the money pit you are about to buy.

That's really sound advice. 

Also when you do get quotes, remember most sparks are not plasterers, so you need to factor in the making good, decorating, carpets etc

The property was built in 1920. The guy pretty much took a look around and then calculated rooms/number of sockets and came up with a figure based on that it seems. I did get a few photos but the quality is hit and miss, will try get more if that'll help. There is no paperwork that I found and no work in the last 5 years at least.

I'm in Bolton, if you have any guys in the area let me know.
I'm not that far from Bolton if you want an opinion

Ah ha ..... the I’ll thought out 18th edition strikes again.

we can apply diversity, but not to mcb’s protected by a rcd ......

9 mA how daft is that ..... you design and install a circuit, yet you have absolutely no control over what’s plugged in.

i despair.
Don’t despair bud, that’s why they make RCBO,s. Spend a few more quid and buy the proper kit you miserable old sod :)

Don’t despair bud, that’s why they make RCBO,s. Spend a few more quid and buy the proper kit you miserable old sod :)

I want your wage mate, if the price difference between a dual RCD board and a board full of RCBO's is only 'a few quid'  😃

I want your wage mate, if the price difference between a dual RCD board and a board full of RCBO's is only 'a few quid'  😃
Lol you know what I mean bud. Pass the extra cost onto the end user. 

Be nice people, or I will post a pic of me in a mankini... and no one wants that......

RCBOs for m the likes of Control  Gear are not that expensive.

@sieman  the other optio is to get a full inspecton first, that will ascertain what condition the cabling is in and whetehr or not it needs a re-wire. You have old board s and the odd original light switch, but I'm seeing grey cable not black at the boards, which would suggest it has been re-wired previously ( or at least partially rewired) . The electrican you had in, sounds like he just assumed it's all old and didn't look properly before just magically stating it needs a re-wire and surveying the house for that.

Latest posts