How hard is the 2391?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,

I did the 16th 2391, at the same time as the 2381. The 2381 is the easiest test I have ever done!!!! And Ive done ALOT of exams over the years. The 2391 is more difficult.

As stated the 2391 is aimed more at the experienced tester or the academic.

I can brag here - that I actually finished the 2391 within the first hour but couldn't leave the room in the first 60 minutes! And yes I passed it :D

I know alot of guys doing the 2391 failed it - but thats their own fault for not prepping ?:|

I have just checked with the college and the NICEIC about the 17th 2391. Both have stated that if you have the 16th 2391 then you dont need to sit the 17th version (you only need the 17th 2381 update course) - Which I will be starting shortly :)

D.

just passed my 2391( july 2008), the exam is solid. my advise to you is that to reed gn3 inside and out, i personaly bought the niceic book on testing it has great pictures and explains quite well. last but deffinately not least, read and practice as many previous exams you can get your mits on, then do them again until you are confident it has stuck. when you have sat the exam and come out it feels like your head is about to explode. all i can say is good luck and think possative, it will be worth it in the end

congrats on passing - hopefully it will reassure the others that it is passable, but isn't a walk in the park :)

Which one did you pass? The 10 or the 20?

D.

If you come across any previous test papers i would appreciate the link to them as i started the 2391 last week, and haven't slept a wink since....Guiness Drink

If you come across any previous test papers i would appreciate the link to them as i started the 2391 last week, and haven't slept a wink since....Guiness Drink
shall we sing you a lullaby???

get to bed now.. say your prayers... then head on the pillow

Pray:z:z:z:z:z:z:z

I don't think even a lullaby could knock me out.. :(

Anyway has anyone got any links to past papers...

Many thanks in advance:)

I'll see what I can sort out for you. ;)

Any of you guys have any?

it is not an easy exam, but not impossible.

I did it about 4or 5years ago and passed ok, just done a 4day course at college, and no home revision, its a very logical exam,

and if I remember correctly, if you get stuck on a particular equasion then further on in the paper you will prob come across it in another Q so you can shuffle back.

it was a paper exam where/when I done it, is it still paper?

OH, by the way, I didnt even have the 16th when I done it,(I never ever had,15th to 17th straight jump! :D ) so its not as hard as some make out, but DEFFO NOT A WALK OVER.

good luck. ;)

The regs exams (every one of them) are aimed at domestic premises don't know why but there it is. If you are an industrial spark/work for bigger companies or don't fill out forms that often, it shows when you take the exams. Knowing bs numbers, IP codes and reference methods etc is not something I personally digest but if you are taking the 2391 you had better read up on them along with other bits of info that you normally would look in the OSG for.

The 16th exam was a doddle (you do have the book with you) but the 2391 is a totally different beast closed book and all.

I was told the exam set at the beginning of the year was a stinker and I know some colleges had 1 or 2 passes in a class of students and one college that shall remain nameless had no passes!!!!!

The regs exams (every one of them) are aimed at domestic premises don't know why but there it is.
Not quite sure I would agree with that statement.. paul? ?:|

IMHO they are aimed at a general overview of all aspects of the Regs book & OS-Guide.

and as the opening paragraph of OSG states....

Scope, the following installations

a) domestic

B) industrial & commercial singe & three phase where Dis boards(s) are located near the distributors cut out.

Basically sites without loads of long rambling sub-mains to loads of other buildings. other parts of one large building.

Not many domestic environments include;

3-phase,

Marinas,

Large scale conduit/ trunking/ cable tray runs,

Agricultural environments.

Generator sets

etc..

etc..

Yet they can appear within your C&G regs exams? :)

and the certification bits often refer to the standard forms in the regs book with three signatories,

not the one as used within your typical domestic installation.

I would agree that a fair bit of the tutors conversation within lectures tended to veer toward domestic more than industrial. :)

hmmm...Do I stand corrected? t+e is covered to death along with the ring final and lighting ccts. yes a motor cct is included but as far as heavy industry is concerned generally(and I mean generally)the 2391 is for domestic sparks. For instance I have been in this trade for 30 years and only took the 2391 because I moved into the area where I needed it ie:domestic property's.

hmmm...Do I stand corrected? t+e is covered to death along with the ring final and lighting ccts. yes a motor cct is included but as far as heavy industry is concerned generally(and I mean generally)the 2391 is for domestic sparks. For instance I have been in this trade for 30 years and only took the 2391 because I moved into the area where I needed it ie:domestic property's.
would agree Heavy industry is not much of a show...

but as previous stated, it is geared around scope of OSG

a) domesticB) industrial & commercial single & three phase where Dis boards(s) are located near the distributors cut out.
It does allow for light industrial / small factory units / commercial properties..

that can have some quite chunky air conditioning supply motors etc..

small factory machinery with 3 phase supplies. etc..

which is a bit outside of the average domestic property..

BUT as you say NOT quite a large factory / Heavy industrial installtion...

and those wouldn't fall within the "where Dis boards(s) are located near the distributors cut out" category!?

Many light industry & commercial applications use PVC T&E.. it's not all SWA ?

However I would agree that most of the pictures and drawings in guidance note 3 "Insp & Test" do look very much like domestic CU's..

don't recall any 3-phase looking boards??/ :^O :^O:^O

I seem to have resorted to cider though? :)
Do we need a magners emoticon?

A vodka emoticon for Admin 2?

:D

I feel I must point out I don't have any affiliation to magners, I never have and never will work for them. Infact I don't even like cider that much.............

The 2391 Practical assessment is no drink of water either being very tight for time. You will be presented with something looking very like one of these on which you must preform a PIR.

2391testrig1ri9.jpg

Shot at 2008-10-18

The board not the 'electrician'. :) Not sure if the eye protection 'Gregories' are an essential/immediate fail for not wearing them, I'm sure Shakey will give a definitive on that.

...another version on the theme. There will be NO FAULTS, it's not there to catch anyone out just to prove their competence at testing.

2391testrig2uh3.gif

Shot at 2008-10-18

The 2391 Practical assessment is no drink of water either being very tight for time. You will be presented with something looking very like one of these on which you must preform a PIR.
2391testrig1ri9.jpg
Nahhhh!!

cant be the 2391! :(

I am absolutely positive I would have remembered if a female looking person was standing at the light fitting accessories when I did my 2391? :_|

Are sure that ain't a different exam bud! :^O :^O

Mind you... If there was a female type personage close to the test board...

guess I would have been too distracted to be able to pass!Blushing:O:p:p:p

spose I could say.. "well theres a nice looking test rig!".. ]:) but you lot would take it the wrong way! X(

Note to self... "Cold shower required":|

Latest posts