How hard is the 2391?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my 2391 paper lastnight and it was hardest exam i've ever done and when i came out thought i'd F***ed it up but we went back in today to do de-breif of the paper and after going over all the questions again i'm a bit more confident i may well have just scrapped the pass mark.

Instructor reckons 100 marks is the ball park figure and i totaled mine up to about 98-110 so i'm hoping i was right with my mark.

done 2391 last night was`nt as hard as thought or had been told just hope the person who marks my paper understands what i put down on the papers.

found it no harder than the test & inspection on 2330 level 3 papers.

fingers crossed for the results.

Did mine thursday night too, practical not til January though.

Can remember some questions, if its worth posting it up?

I have my 2391-20 paper next week. Only a 40% pass required and there is an overlap from the 2391-10 test & inspect course. I should be OK but should really aim for a distinction which is 80% or more but that will involve a weekend of swotting like mad!

read the questions throw fully first c&g not that good a explaining what they want.

I have my 2391-20 paper next week. Only a 40% pass required and there is an overlap from the 2391-10 test & inspect course. I should be OK but should really aim for a distinction which is 80% or more but that will involve a weekend of swotting like mad!
Im not to sure about 'only a 40% passs required ' more likely a 40% national pass rate

Saying that prev poster reckons 100 points is the benchmark for a pass from the 150 marks available so you could be right...

Searley was that scenario for the 6 questions a TNS or TNC-S

Things that will most likely be in your exam

Tabulated values of ZS and then applying the rule of thumb i.e. x0.8 to get a more true reading , it takes into account the ambient temperature of the cable in load conditions..

Draw an earth fault loop path diagram and lable it.. practice all earthing systems..

know your statutory and non statutory regs...

know the relationship between resistance i.e. CSA and length and what heat does to the resistance

Know what test equipment to use for each test

Use diagrams instead of explaining , handy for your r1,rn and r2 and crossover tests on ring finals...

Know the basics of an earth electrode resistance test

Know that to regards PEFC and PSCC tests and which result to note and what to do on a 3 phase installation

Know the inspectors responsibilities and the purpose of Installations and Periodic Inspection Reports..

When they say 'state' 1 statutory document you answer Electricity at Work Regulations 1989

If a question with the term 'state' in can be answered in 1 word then thats how you should answer it..

Learn the model forms off by heart , especially schedule of inspections

Im not to sure about 'only a 40% passs required ' more likely a 40% national pass rate Saying that prev poster reckons 100 points is the benchmark for a pass from the 150 marks available so you could be right...

Searley was that scenario for the 6 questions a TNS or TNC-S
The 40% pass mark is for the 2391-20 design erection and verification course. The whole course is made up from

2391-10 practical

2391-20 exam

2391-20 project

2391-10 exam is 60% pass mark

there is a national 40% pass rate for this exam. (so I am told)

It's harder than all the other exams put together. Then you've got the Practical which you definitely need experience of testing beforehand.

well spare a thought for me today chaps, off to Sheffield to sit 2391-20 this evening. Last exam and then just a project to finish by Feb (not even looked at that yet!)
good luck with the exam i am doing it tonight aswell in burgess hill sussex.

I have looked at the project but not started it yet.will be starting this weekend.

If the pass rate is 40% great but i was told 50% should be ok with that !!

will be having a large scotch when i get in later my head hurts.

well spare a thought for me today chaps, off to Sheffield to sit 2391-20 this evening. Last exam and then just a project to finish by Feb (not even looked at that yet!)
Best of luck to you and anyone else sitting it.

Best of luck to you and anyone else sitting it.
Indeed Gents - I will second that.

BUT - What do you Guys mean "You have a Project to do"? You have lost me on that one.

I thought you do a "Practical" on the test board first, Then later, You do your "Written Exam"?

A course thats more design based if that makes sense? You are taught to design an installation (one year it was the bare carcass of a police station building) and you are given certain specs. You then go away and do all the design work including calcs etc.

AndyGuinness

good luck with the exam i am doing it tonight aswell in burgess hill sussex.I have looked at the project but not started it yet.will be starting this weekend.

If the pass rate is 40% great but i was told 50% should be ok with that !!

will be having a large scotch when i get in later my head hurts.
Thats great, I will be doing the same at about 9.30. Just arrived in Sheff and settled into Travelodge for the night. Quick cuppa and some last minute swotting up on all those calcs.

Keep in touch and we can swap notes etc on the project....