How (not) to isolate a socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some pics from a job a while back.

2 room being made into one. i was only called to put new sockets etc in after the job had started.

there was originally 3 sockets on the wall - 2 on the ring, 1 as a spur. this is how it was left

IMG00095.jpg

IMG00094.jpg

IMG00093.jpg

Actually that's quite normal for a wall to be knocked down and a socket or switch left hanging or taped up.

Give them credit, they did actually then call a proper electrician to make it safe and right.

Actually that's quite normal for a wall to be knocked down and a socket or switch left hanging or taped up.Give them credit, they did actually then call a proper electrician to make it safe and right.
no, they called me to install some other sockets elsewhere (original plan, just i didnt get the go ahead until after this had been done). the fact is, if they had removed wall around the socket (so leaving socket on end of cables), then the ring would still be a ring. the way they have left it, its now 2 radials. and not an even split either - one leg goes almost direct to board

I cant really see it as an issue being split, as it will only be for a short time.

Not the best way to cap off, but at least they are reasonably safe.

Its not worth further discussion---its just plain wrong , Dangerous and in need of urgent attention !

a1spark

I cant really see it as an issue being split, as it will only be for a short time.Not the best way to car off, but at least they are reasonably safe.
it was like that over a week. iirc, one end went straight to the board, other end had whole house.

When I had my extension built they cut through a ring and "forgot to tell me". I found it, two ends hanging there (crimpy time), but could have missed it. Least they had re-set the RCD for me....

Welcome fatsteve. You could post in the new member introductions and tell

us a bit about yourself if you want. Welcome anyways

That aint a big deal in my oppinion, could be worse..... they could have disconnected it then just put the socket on the end of it and be using it for tools and leaving exposed conductors........ iv done it in the past and would more than likely do it again.

Relatively neat for builders:D

At least they made some effort to avoid exposed live parts - mostly i see broken sockets and back boxes with cables still in place, and exposed terminals just waiting for fingers.