I am having problems with the electrics in my House what could the problem be?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So no one thinks it is a nail through a cable then, funny that cos i had the exact same problem as Lucy describes and it was found to be a nail banged in a wall in the safe zone above a socket to hang a Christmas ornament.

Hi Lucy

As I said have been called out a couple of times to RCD'S with nuisance tripping. I was always told not to put cookers and immersions through 30mA RCD'S. You should have a cooker isolation switch. Turn this off when you are not using cooker and see if RCD trips out. If it dosn't trip out you have found your problem.It could be a faulty RCD but this would have to be tested by an electrician with an RCD tester. Nusaince tripping can be a nightmare to find.

Batty

Maybe try the fridge or freezer or maybe both as this could be causing the tripping, as when the motor starts up on either could be tripping it and then when the motor as stopped from tripping out and then it is then able to turn the RCD back on. Just a thought. :^O

I've had my boys look at this thread, and they believe the washing machine or dishwasher are prime suspects.

Try unplugging these when not in use (unplug, not switching off).

And see if the problem goes away.

Don

I see the other place is down again.

We may be off air soon - Due to our Host's maintainance.

I will place it as an announcement on the main page if it is the case, Guys & Gals.

I see the other place is down again.We may be off air soon - Due to our Host's maintainance.

I will place it as an announcement on the main page if it is the case, Guys & Gals.
I believe it is scheduled for one day, this month.

Just an observation

Where has Lucy gone ??????

not replied to any of the help for a while ????

hope nothing has happened :( :( :(

Just an observationWhere has Lucy gone ??????

not replied to any of the help for a while ????

hope nothing has happened :( :( :(
its fine sir,

shes just trying to get the boots off now she's had them on. :x

they were a bit more full on than I first thought. :eek:

:D :D:D

So no one thinks it is a nail through a cable then,.
It COULD have been; however I would say you are correct, and no-one THINKS it is. The symptoms presented are not indicative of that type of fault Nicky. Further, although, in this game ANYTHING is almost always possible; most decisions on where to hunt on a fault-find are based on likelihood and probability. A nail through a cable, whilst being possible, is somewhat unlikely in the scenario presented.

It COULD have been; however I would say you are correct, and no-one THINKS it is. The symptoms presented are not indicative of that type of fault Nicky. Further, although, in this game ANYTHING is almost always possible; most decisions on where to hunt on a fault-find are based on likelihood and probability. A nail through a cable, whilst being possible, is somewhat unlikely in the scenario presented.
Ive already said, I had exactly the same scenario with the RCD not tripping straight away. It could sometimes take a few hours to trip, and that was a nail in a cable above a socket.

The wiring regulations are 'Guidance for good practice for electrical work'. But they are NON statutory.. it is only where other legal obligations require electrical certificates that it can be enforced.. (e.g. licencing requirements for pubs etc..)You sure about this???

I was under the impression that the legal obligation comes under the electricity at work regs to "supply and maintain a safe electrical supply". We of course inspect to BS7671. Under this, the recommendation for rented properties is to PIR every 5 years, (or less if old and starting to fail) and visually inspect every year or at change of occupancy. The 10 year bit is for domestic properties that are NOT rented for commercial gain

The BS7671 wiring regs ARE effectively "guidance notes". You do NOT have to follow them to the letter to comply with the law.

The above notwithstanding; in a court of law, compliance with BS7671 is deemed to be compliance with EAWR `89; which IS a statutory document.

The periodicy of inspections is to be determined by the inspector. Unless there are outside factors (i.e. other than 7671) which are in force at the installation, it is the inspector`s call as to when the next inspection should be due.

HTH

KME

The wiring regulations are 'Guidance for good practice for electrical work'. But they are NON statutory.. it is only where other legal obligations require electrical certificates that it can be enforced.. (e.g. licencing requirements for pubs etc..)You sure about this???

I was under the impression that the legal obligation comes under the electricity at work regs to "supply and maintain a safe electrical supply". We of course inspect to BS7671. Under this, the recommendation for rented properties is to PIR every 5 years, (or less if old and starting to fail) and visually inspect every year or at change of occupancy. The 10 year bit is for domestic properties that are NOT rented for commercial gain
Hi Binky, I know what you are saying m8..

But a rented property is not a workplace. :(

It is my understanding that in any domestic dwelling / residential property..

be it rented or private it is not a location where people undertake paid work producing goods or providing services to customers?

Part of the purpose definition or EAWR says it is to "require precautions to be taken against risk of death or personal injury from electricity in work activities." & it is made under the 1974 Heath & Safety at work act.

Which in a nutshell means Joe blogs shouldn't do certain things at work without relevant precautions...

but at home he can do what he likes! :(

Whilst any trader or contractor is undertaking work for payment at a domestic dwelling

their work should all comply with EAWR & H&SAW & thus BS7671..

But at any other time... It is not a work place?

although good practice should be followed it leaves non / or very open ended obligations...

with too many get out clauses that the small scale landlord can use..

which is why, I think it can be seen from the photos..,

there is no "Previous / Next Inspection Date" sticker on the Fuse box!?

at the moment??

Well thats My guess anyway!?

As said loads of places can get away with out regular inspection..

I have seen many community halls / churches etc..

that ignore the recommendations..

yet if they had to apply for an entertainments licence, or a licence to sell liquor etc..

The local council would enforce the inspection as a condition of the licence.

There is very little regulation stopping Joe public downloading some assured shorthold-tenancy-agreement forms..

and deciding to rent out all or part of their house... especially if it is less than three stories & only has a limited number of tenants...

I know when properties get bigger & more tenants a few more bits come into play...

but for the average size semi' I think the hardest bit at the moment would be getting a buy-to-let mortgage if you needed it!

I had a guy ring me a few weeks back..

He is moving down south...

but keeping his house up here to rent out.

He has been told by the "letting agent"..

it may be good to get a visual inspection done...

but left it open ended...

as to whether he did or didn't!!!!:( X( phtttt!!!???

Wot can you do? :_| :_|

Sorry for being so long getting back. I've always looked at it this way. A rented property is 'commercial' in that money is transacted to use the premises, ie it is a business, and not just any old place that someone lives in. However there is no compulsion for a landlord to have a PIR, if he wishes he can take full responsibility for the electrics him/herself. The bonus of PIR and remedial works is that legal responsibility is transferred for 5 years to the spark performing such works.

I'm also fairly sure there is greater complusion in regs / HSE legislation, but unfortunately I'm a bit too busy to look at the moment.