If a battery terminal has two wires connected to it?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foolios

Reaction score
If a battery terminal(just one side of polarity) has two wires connected to that side, then the end of those two wires touched, what would happen? That isn't a short is it? Would the difference in potential be considered the same thus causing nothing to happen?

Thanks in advance.

If a battery terminal(just one side of polarity) has two wires connected to that side, then the end of those two wires touched, what would happen? That isn't a short is it? Would the difference in potential be considered the same thus causing nothing to happen?Thanks in advance.
they be at the same voltage so nothing would happen. same as if you doubled up the cables to carry extra amps

Ok, so nothing would happen if the cables were connected to the same side of the battery, we all agree on this?

Because this is a stepping stone to my next question concerning why this is different in AC.

I would think that on the battery, that nothing would happen. I would have guessed that this would be the same when it comes to AC, but I am being told that it's not.

I want to understand why.

Here goes my question:

Concerning 3-wire service to residential. Before we get to the breaker box, there is the meter box outside. This meter box has two hots and a ground. Now, why will the two hots buck if they contact each other? Aren't they at the same potential?

Aren't they at the same potential?
to ground yes, but to each other they arent. AFAIK, you use split phase, where each phase-phase is 240V, but to mid point is 120V. bit like our 110v transformers, 55v each to earth, but 110v between lines

you could also say the same with your battery. get 2, and connect + from one batt to - of the other. between this centre point and each terminal, you get 12V (ignoring the polarity of it for now since the batt is DC) but between th far ends you get 24V

to ground yes, but to each other they arent. AFAIK, you use split phase, where each phase-phase is 240V, but to mid point is 120V. bit like our 110v transformers, 55v each to earth, but 110v between linesyou could also say the same with your battery. get 2, and connect + from one batt to - of the other. between this centre point and each terminal, you get 12V (ignoring the polarity of it for now since the batt is DC) but between th far ends you get 24V
to ground No

Neutral/hot is always at earth/ground

The Live/Hot is at max 240v(rms) +ve then sinusoidally goes to 0v in relation to the Neutral/Hot/(ground/earth) and Drops to -ve 240v and then 0 and back up again to +240v......The current simply goes in alternate directions but remains at 240(rms) in relation to gnd/earth

to ground NoNeutral/hot is always at earth/ground

The Live/Hot is at max 240v(rms) +ve then sinusoidally goes to 0v in relation to the Neutral/Hot/(ground/earth) and Drops to -ve 240v and then 0 and back up again to +240v......The current simply goes in alternate directions but remains at 240(rms) in relation to gnd/earth
Hello Nicky:)

Happy new yearGuiness Drink

hope you have a good one! :D

I see the similarity between AC and DC as you have explained it and now realize that there's the fundamental understanding that I don't have to answer my question.

From my readings, I know that the batteries are in series. I know that the voltages will add up when they are aligned as such. What I don't understand is why voltage adds up between the far ends of these two batteries. Why are the ends 24V while the inner points between the batteries are only 12V?

Thanks so much for helping me further along.

I see the similarity between AC and DC as you have explained it and now realize that there's the fundamental understanding that I don't have to answer my question.From my readings, I know that the batteries are in series. I know that the voltages will add up when they are aligned as such. What I don't understand is why voltage adds up between the far ends of these two batteries. Why are the ends 24V while the inner points between the batteries are only 12V?

Thanks so much for helping me further along.
You could think of it as the battery being changed round at 50 times a second if you want

Ok, so nothing would happen if the cables were connected to the same side of the battery, we all agree on this? Because this is a stepping stone to my next question concerning why this is different in AC.

I would think that on the battery, that nothing would happen. I would have guessed that this would be the same when it comes to AC, but I am being told that it's not.

I want to understand why.

Here goes my question:

Concerning 3-wire service to residential. Before we get to the breaker box, there is the meter box outside. This meter box has two hots and a ground. Now, why will the two hots buck if they contact each other? Aren't they at the same potential?
Is the answer to this not that the 2 live wires are at different phases and therefor there is a potential difference between them and therefore current can flow? (ie the 2 wires are at different points of the sine wave at any given moment)

2 wires on the battery there is no potential difference. 2 live wires in the same phase touching - no effect?

Am I been a silly vet here?

Oooh, is that it, because the two hots coming into the house are different phases? So, if you contacted the one hot at two different points then the no potential difference thought would hold. Like with the battery terminal idea above...

We wouldn't ever have two wires from the same phase coming in would we? So, that's not going to happen right...

Oooh, is that it, because the two hots coming into the house are different phases? So, if you contacted the one hot at two different points then the no potential difference thought would hold. Like with the battery terminal idea above...We wouldn't ever have two wires from the same phase coming in would we? So, that's not going to happen right...
Never say never.

But that's my understanding on it. :D

Someone else may like to confirm

Thanks a mill everyone, you've been a load of help getting me further along on this. I love this forum, great people here. =)