If You Think You're Hard Done By...........view Here

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thing is ,  even in a huge industrial , agricultural  giant like the USA with its natural resources , diverse economies , oil fields & hydro electrics , it doesn't take much to tip the economy over the edge and the people are queuing at soup kitchens .

Pull up all the trees ,grub up all the hedgerows , create gigantic efficient pastures.......... and then the wind blows all your topsoil away in great dust storms and all the crops die and the people starve .  

I have no idea why I'm banging on about this ...just digging up a few folk songs.

the old scenes of people hanging around street corners waiting for a pick up to come round and take who ever is quick enough to get in the back to have a days work is where we are heading with these 0 hours contracts.

the old scenes of people hanging around street corners waiting for a pick up to come round and take who ever is quick enough to get in the back to have a days work is where we are heading with these 0 hours contracts.
I used to see similar scenes outside the pub opposite the contractor I used to work for .

A well known sight was to see the Paddys waiting for the pick-up  around 7.30am outside The Mermaid pub on the Stratford Rd in B,ham .  Gangers supplying labourers for building projects would pull in and choose workers for the day ...paid  by the day .  No tax ..no NI... no union .. no safety equip/ work clothes etc .     It was called "Working on the Lump"        I remember the day  after it was outlawed  ...there was no one on the site except electricians and heating engineers .

I think I want to introduce this video to my friends.
You'll find in on Youtube Jerry .