In -roof mounting systems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone installed an in-roof system?? I have a quoteation to do for an attic conversion which will involve re-tiling roof, which seems an ideal time to mount panels 'in-roof'. So was wondering if anyone had done this, and what the pitfalls problems might be?

no, I would think the major issue would be having a water tight seal between your panels and the surrounding tiles/slates,

I know its a purpose made system, but without doing one, having the roofers on your side, it may be a lot harder work,

and if a leak does occur are the roofers gonna blame your kit?

will the roofers even be prepared to use your stuff/work with you on this?

Ah well that's a good question. I have a fully house trained roofer who helped me with my first install, however he probably wont be doing this roof as loft conversion bloke has his own team. At the mo I am thinking that 'on roof' will be much simpler and certainly less work. I will certainly be adding

An in-roof system is much easier than on-roof. When you buy the in-roof mounting kit you will have the top, bottom and side panels that you fit up to the pv frame and then the roofer tiles up to it.Each manufacturer do their own kit with instructions that you should be able to download off their websites.Read the fitting instructions before you order it so you know what you need and make sure you get your dimensions right. i.e. you have to leave enough around the array for the roofer to tile up to and you don't really want to be cutting the kit if you can help it.

The in-roof question has popped up again, this time to replace a sloping garage roof. Now I've researched a few different systems, and they all look far too complicated for what they do (not helped by manulas in twenty languages. So if anyone knows of a simple system to use and install, please let me know.

In roof systems will have a much shorter life span than on roof systems since the airflow around the unit and thus the cooling of the unit is much reduced.

I had wondered about, given that cables behind panels needto be 70C rated. Having said that, the in-roof systems I've looked at do have some form of ventilation built in along top edge, and I wouldn't have thought they would achieve MCS accreditation if causing modules to fail. Have you seen any reports on this Ian?

I believe Dimplex stopped (or are stopping) making in roof systems because of overheating issues. Might be worth contacting them about it.

Remember the accreditation is not based on facts as they have not had the panels installed for 25 years yet.

I believe Dimplex stopped (or are stopping) making in roof systems because of overheating issues. Might be worth contacting them about it.Remember the accreditation is not based on facts as they have not had the panels installed for 25 years yet.
The stuff I've looked at have all been German, so should have been around for a while?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:22 ----------

and inverters are only guaranteed for 10years, what is the guarantee like for in roof systems?
Can't say I've noticed any warranties - being German manuals with numerous translations of each line of every page I keep losing the will to live whilst reading them:z:z:z:z

I have looked into this a little as my NIC AE & the NIC have asked me about it several times, & one of my local wholesalers is asking me every time I go in!

The wholesaler offers a 25yr warranty on all major parts, panels, inverters etc. in conjunction with the manufacturers, don't know what the terms are yet as I have not taken them up on it.

However, it looks like I will be loosing a big contract, so I will have to diversify a bit & MCS may be the way I go!

I've used a product called Intersole and the assembly instructions were quite easy to follow (plus a little bit of guidance from my local disti). Main thing is about taking your time and using some common sense, this system is European and has been installed thousands of times so I don't think it should give future problems. Good luck!

Looks more substantial than other systems I've seen.

What really interests me is the shopping mal set-ups where the panels are used as a canopy, so must be sealed from outside. Still haven't found a system like this yet.

Worth having a look at a French system called Easy-Roof (la easy roof in france :)) the French market is mostly in-roof apparently due to tax breaks, so should be good.

Latest posts