Installing A Push Switch For A Bathroom

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys yes i prob decided on the way to got as am in the midle of the job before asking and with having problems with a pir before thought this would be a good idea

no it was my 11 year old that had to come back from his mates to switch it off

but please back to my question push switch ?

or change to moment senser but that would have more problems if having a shower curtain as will have to have one over the shower as well

my thoughts on two switches in parallel was my simple way of fixing the problem yes shorten the pull cord he wont be able to pull the cord but will be able to press the switch to let him use the toilet and i will prob give it 5 or 7 mins on the timer so as you dont get left in the dark and when any one is using the shower they can pull the cord to switch the light and fan on at the same time 

poss not very power saving as letting the light stay on for 5-7 mins at a time when poss it my only need 3 mins but its a lot better then him switching it on at 6.30 in the morning and someone switching it off at 8.30 before leaving for work

and yes the light will be on when in the shower in the day time but again for 10 mins at a time and our bathroom is not that light and im not going to put in a bigger window just to compensate for the lack of light lol but if the light is on when we have a shower say even with the amount of us in the house thats 3 showers a day and 10 toilet brakes with a 28 watt light (forgetting the fan as this is needed when shower or toilet is in use)and 30 mins for the shower and 50 mins for the toilet brakes total lets call it 90 mins a day for ease so thats 90x365 = 32400 watts in a year or 324 kw at an average cost of 20pence per kw 324x20p= £64.8 a year if i cut that in half buy using movement sensers i will only cut that down to £32 ? if my calcs are ok please say if i have missed some thing as this seams to cheap ?

stick in either a 16w 2D,

or even better, an LED 2D lookalike,

personally I have a 16w 2D and it is on from about dusk til morning, its really not a lot to run in the big scheme of things,

more money could be saved by turning all your standby items off.

Why not just go for a fully automated switch that you can switch off from your remote or smartphone? May cost a bit more but would put you at ease of leaving the light on?

It winds me up when people leave lights on but life is to short to worry about things like this. I have fitted PIR's in the past this certainly is the way to go.

will replace with 2d led at a later date as got light fitting all ready will just get a 2d led later once running

what ip rating will i need for a movement sencer for the bathroom

I recommend this one  http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMSLFM360.html   Have fitted loads

Edit, just noticed it says 22w max for low energy. Either there is a different model or they have dropped the rating due to problems.

PS, Whats the difference that affects the loadings between a 16W 2D (That's classed as low energy) & a 18W 2ft tube (apart from 2W)

This morning at the wholesaler I see a range of 2d type bulkhead fitting , with LED and option of microwave sensor built in.

Just realised the fan requirements here , so built in sensor would not be a good option

Latest posts