Installing A Push Switch For A Bathroom

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angellonewolf

Reaction score
first things first had a sparky round to give a quote for a new rcd board

i showed him the bath room and that it had a problem melted wiring he said to wire it up before installing and replace the cable he would cheak it upon installing the board and added a buck for the testing and cheaking (i have all the ceiling down so cheaking is easy)

i am adding a 6 inch celing fan over the bath and  a 2d ip65 light in the middle of the room near the bath all to work off the pull cord in the bathroom but will add an extra push switch in the hall so after a toilet brake by the kids it will switch off 3 mins later

wiring the 2nd switch in parallel so you can use one or the other switch to put on the light 

now my question what push switch can i use on looking about online most of the push switches say they cant be used for induction and not for venting and need a resister installed if certain lights are installed and one of the cheapest that works is what i am looking for

what do i need to know before buying one of theses switched is it just the right amp age i need to worry about 

the ceiling fan will prob be expelair standard £18 or and the light is already bought a apollo square ip65 opal high frequency lamp 28 watt 2a 4 pin 3,5k

thanks for any help i am at work today but will cheak back when i can later today

hope i put as much info as needed

The main reason for the push timer is for the light as the kids don't know how to switch it off once I phoned one of them when they were round they mates house 20 mins walk away and made him walk back to switch it off but it still only stopped him from leaving it on for a few weeks but is better than he was lol

What push switch can I install ?

i am adding a 6 inch celing fan over the bath and  a 2d ip65 light in the middle of the room near the bath all to work off the pull cord in the bathroom but will add an extra push switch in the hall so after a toilet brake by the kids it will switch off 3 mins later

wiring the 2nd switch in parallel so you can use one or the other switch to put on the light 
The main reason for the push timer is for the light as the kids don't know how to switch it off once I phoned one of them when they were round they mates house 20 mins walk away and made him walk back to switch it off but it still only stopped him from leaving it on for a few weeks but is better than he was lol

the logic of what you are asking for will not work if you still have two switches in parallel, (1x cord pull 1x push delay switch). As no push switch will prevent anyone turning the light on by the cord switch that you intend to still have in the circuit. So the light can still be left on. But a PIR movement sensor with no manual switches would put the light on while someone is in the room, and turn it off after they leave. 

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem fitting a movement sensor is that if you want the fan to operate in daylight hours  the light also has to be on. As you have a 28w 2D thats not really a problem. You could of course fit  2 sensors, 1 for the light & 1 for the fan. You can also buy extract fans with movement sensors built in.

sorry i don't want to make it complicated as all of the wiring is in to just install the switch i understand that installing a pir unit ceiling mounted would be the best but on a quick look only are able to switch a lower ampage if i am wrong so be it but as the wiring is there to install that way with a push timer im thinking that would be the way to go and if there is a problem eg with the movement senser i cant fix it quick to get the light working

has any one fitted a push switch on this type of setup what one can i use ?

thanks for all the replies angel

What if someone is on the loo too long and the push switch turns off???

:popcorn

PIRs are designed to switch lamps....

I very much doubt that one bathroom lamp will be too much load!?

If its too complicated for you speak to your sparky who is quoting for the RCD board..

If he's any good he will do it no problem.

Guinness

you have asked for advice...

and I think the consensus is that you are looking at the wrong solution if trying to use a push switch..

But by the sounds of it though you may be going to ignore to advice of those who you asked!

good luck!

:coat

no not trying to fob any ones advice off but have wired it already but if i was to change it around and had a movement senser will i be able to use this to control the fan and light at the same time ?

and can movement sensers be set to not go on in day light ?

thanks angel

Last edited by a moderator:
if any one wanted a shower they can use the pull switch to keep the light and fan on untill they leave the room  as i will be putting in a shower curtain

if any one wanted a shower they can use the pull switch to keep the light and fan on untill they leave the room as i will be putting in a shower curtain
Is this the same someone's that dont turn lights off?

Yet they will turn a fan on and off for a shower.

If your putting a pull switch in, why not just use that then.

PIR's can usually adjust the lux levels.

Or as said before put in 2 PIR, one for lights and one for fan.

the main person that cant switch off a light is my 6 year old when he gets in the shower we are in there to make sure hes ok and get him out the bath so will switch off the light ourselfs

so its more for when he needs the toilet

the main person that cant switch off a light is my 6 year old when he gets in the shower we are in there to make sure hes ok and get him out the bath so will switch off the light ourselfs

I do hope it is not your 6 year old that you phoned while at his friends making him do a 20 minute walk back? This really does sound as though you have already decided what you want to do and have started doing it before asking advice. The best solution is to scrap the push switch idea, or scrap the cord pull switch. The two switches together just cancel out the very thing you are trying to prevent. PIR's can be set to daylight or nighttime, they will almost certainly switch the loads that you want as will a pneumatic push timer switch. An electronic timer switch may be different you would need to check the manufactures specification. Whatever you do be clear that your option of a push timer switch is a very poor design solution for the problem you have specified.

Doc H.

he can walk 20 mins home but not shower on his own?

mabey get a bathroom attandant

or an automated robot attendant

or some kind of James Bond computer that will scan to check if a human enters and then turns off after they go.

imagine such a device in a small compact round flush fitting device that would fit in a 64mm hole and create minimum disruption to the room, and would cost less then £20........ that would be amazing.