installing electricity into a log cabin

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello rob1432, welcome to the forum. DIY persons are permitted to do certain Domestic electrical work. But from your own statement it sounds as though this may be outside of your scope. Electricity is dangerous all times, even more so when running electricity out of doors. You would probably be best to seek a professional electrician to undertake this work. Doc H.
cheers. will do that!

Hello and welcome :D You do sound out of your depth [that's coming from a confident DIYer]!

My advice would be to find a friendly spark who will let you help with the donkey work. Digging the trench for the cable, maybe attaching accessories to walls, even clearing up and making tea. Doing some of the labour will save you a few quid [many of our members not too keen on digging trenches] and you'll learn something.

Do you know a local spark? Where in Lancs are you? A number of our members are in your part of the world.

:D
i am definately out of my depth. i am a very confident DIYer but i do not know the first thing about electrics.

i would rather dig out the trenches myself because i would think this would be very costly to get someone to do.

i know one local spark but he's going through chemotherapy at the moment. i live in wigan.

thankyou for the reply

surely a wind up, the clues in nthe first part of his statement, new to electrics with no clue. someones going to get hurt if this guy completes the work
i wasnt planning doing this by myself. im not that stupid. i would pay somebody to do the job properly rather than probably killing myself bad day explode

i just want to get all the equipment for the job and get an electrician to do the job. that is all.

i wasnt planning doing this by myself. im not that stupid. i would pay somebody to do the job properly rather than probably killing myself bad day explode i just want to get all the equipment for the job and get an electrician to do the job. that is all.
cheers for clearing that up, however one small thing, it may pay you to get the electrician to get the materials as he will get good discount from his wholesalers etc, saving you some cash

cheers for clearing that up, however one small thing, it may pay you to get the electrician to get the materials as he will get good discount from his wholesalers etc, saving you some cash
I'd say that was subjective\dubious advice. We all know that a cable isn;t just a cable and a socket isn;t just a socket etc... and I also wouldn;t neccesarily say it would be cheaper for the sparks to get it as I certainly don;t go around collecting materials and building up discounts purely for the customers benefit. I will try and be competitive, but it would be unlikely I would ever be the cheapest, or not intentionally anyway.

What you will find though though is that the kit supplied by the sparks will carry a warranty on materials and labour whereas equipment the customer supplies will only carry a materials warranty. This basically means that if you supply it and it goes wrong, then it's liable you will be charged for someone to come and diagnose\replace it, whereas if the sparks involved supplies all the kit then in the event of any failures you shouldn't be charged.

ok lurch, maybe what i was trying t get at is if the sparks supply the stuff then it will be the correct stuff where as the op may not get the required products

Would anyone know around how much it would cost at a guess for labour? I know you can't really put a price on materials because I don't know what I need but I think I need armoured cable linking up to main consumer unit in the house running down 15m to the log cabin and then linking up to another panel. Also the piping to go in the trench.

I've had a quote of

ok lurch, maybe what i was trying t get at is if the sparks supply the stuff then it will be the correct stuff where as the op may not get the required products
Fair enough.

Would anyone know around how much it would cost at a guess for labour? I know you can't really put a price on materials because I don't know what I need but I think I need armoured cable linking up to main consumer unit in the house running down 15m to the log cabin and then linking up to another panel. Also the piping to go in the trench. I've had a quote of

i am planning on using the electicity for a table saw, belt sander, electronic drumkit and other various tools. would the consumer unit described be ok for this????
rob,

One thing you may come a cropper on if you have bought this unit is external influence BE2, I think the other guys may have missed this too.

The machinery you describe is my bread & butter stuff, I'm in this environment weekly.

I will provide a quote on the info you have given and come up to do the job for you and it will be right and based on the spec you have provided, however, the quote won't be competitive, because as the other guys have said I don't really have the info I need, so, I will have to build contingency into the price which will upset you!

The price you have been given if this is to undertake the complete install is way too cheap given the information we have.

I would go for nearer

rob,One thing you may come a cropper on if you have bought this unit is external influence BE2, I think the other guys may have missed this too.

The machinery you describe is my bread & butter stuff, I'm in this environment weekly.

I will provide a quote on the info you have given and come up to do the job for you and it will be right and based on the spec you have provided, however, the quote won't be competitive, because as the other guys have said I don't really have the info I need, so, I will have to build contingency into the price which will upset you!

The price you have been given if this is to undertake the complete install is way too cheap given the information we have.

I would go for nearer

Would anyone know around how much it would cost at a guess for labour? I know you can't really put a price on materials because I don't know what I need but I think I need armored cable linking up to main consumer unit in the house running down 15m to the log cabin and then linking up to another panel. Also the piping to go in the trench. I've had a quote of

Crikey. I'd better hide my table saw then, sounds like the wiring here is totally unsuitable for me to even dream of just plugging it into an extension lead and cutting wood in it. Or was it the electronic drum kit that was the concern?

Crikey. I'd better hide my table saw then, sounds like the wiring here is totally unsuitable for me to even dream of just plugging it into an extension lead and cutting wood in it. Or was it the electronic drum kit that was the concern?
sounds like you need a sparky to come and sort your electrics out then lurch :^O :^O :run

http://dhlogcabins.co.uk/consumer-unit/consumer-unit/consumer-unit_1Installing in his log cabin with a 15 meter SWA feed off the house CU.
That consumer unit looks a bit crap. You could get a decent make garage unit, a couple of metal clad double sockets, an a far better light for the same money and have complete versatility over which breakers you fit etc.

If we assume the table saw to be 2000W, lets go crazy and whack a 1500W heater in there, and 250W for lights

Total of 3750W or 16A.

We know distance is 15m so TLC's calculator suggests we could get away with 1.5mm 3 core SWA.

Materials

Garage unit m/c (with breakers)

Latest posts