Insulation resistance puzzle

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for the all the advice, I understand about the mutual capacitance of the conductors in the cable, and after a lifetime in electronics working with high voltage capacitors treat any potentially charged device with the utmost caution. I have in fact shorted together the conductors after The IR tests just in case of any residual charge.

Thanks for the tip about holding the button down for the entire test, I'll certainly make sure that I do that in future. On the MFT that I have, (Kewtech KT63) when IR testing, when the button is pressed, "wait" is displayed on the screen, along with a series of "chasing" lcd bars, the applied voltage, and an audible set of beeps.  Also a flashing red LED on the instrument face warns of a high voltage on the probes.

The test takes about 3 secs, whether the button is held down or not, which seems a bit short compared with some "meggers" I've seen being used

When the test is complete, it beeps once if the reading is over 2 Mohm, and twice if it's under,  the actual resistance reading is displayed on the screen and the voltage indicator reverts to zero to show no voltage any longer on the probes, Ill do some tests with a multimeter to see if in fact it does short out the leads to discharge any residual voltage on the cable being tested.

I do appreciate your comments, I've spent literally hundreds of hours reading up on the wiring regs, building regs, and some very instructive youtube videos produced by colleges for their students. It's been a bit of a steep learning curve, but quite a natural transition from decades involved with radio and electronics.

This is a very difficult subject to find any sort of mentor, as the often perceived reply to a question is " if you need to ask that, you shouldn't be doing it" which I'm sure in many cases is very true! 

Thanks

I also retrained out of 'test gear' in industry, control circuitry and electronics is somewhat different to house electrics, which is basically just power distribution. Being somewhat nosy I used to stick test probes in all sorts of places and get really odd readings, subsequently driving myself a bit potty trying to track down spurious voltages and non-existent problems. I learn't to stick to the basic tests and leave the rest alone.