insulation test on cooker circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan.

Reaction score
evenin all.

right then,when doing an insulation test on a cooker circuit that has the oven already wired in (6mm cable) is it considered ok to isolate the oven at the cooker switch and just test the circuit upto that point or should i be un wiring the cooker and testing the rest of the wire,probably about a metre max?i dont want to risk damage to the oven.or should i be connecting live and neutral together and testing them to earth?

in an ideal world you should be testing right up to the point of connection of the consumers equipment,

ie, the outlet plate, with the oven disconnected, and neon suitably isolated.

BUT

we dont live in an ideal world,

make a competent judgement what you would do after disconnecting the 267th oven in a month!!!

Treat it like a lighting circuit would you remove all lamps and chokes I know I wouldn't.

If the other wiring seems ok then I would make a guess that the oven is ok

I would check continuity from face plate of cooker switch to cooker

thats what i thought but you never know eh?

another question,do you have to turn off all the power in the house to do an insulation test on 1 individual circuit?

to be honest I think the proper answer would be YES,

borrowed N,

parrelell Earths etc.

but,

again we are in the real world, so unless your readings gave you any cause for concern, dont bother.

quick tip on IR is to always do a 250v test first, will identify anything left in circuit before you fry it with your 1000v,.! ;) ; )

My boys test at 50V first, before proceeding to 500V, just in case there is a load of some description still connected.

(Reduce the risk of any possible damage to electronic controls etc)

The Godfather

shouldn't that be 500v
if you go by the guide thats called 7671,

probably.

but although I think the regs are sh1te, I always err on the side of safety,

if it dont pass at 1000v then why not.?

50v is good Don, like the old 25v touch in hospitals etc.

not sure if many meters have that option tho......

50v is good Don, like the old 25v touch in hospitals etc.

not sure if many meters have that option tho......
My boys use several testers, one in particular has 50/100/250/500/1000V options.

Don

My boys test at 50V first, before proceeding to 500V, just in case there is a load of some description still connected.(Reduce the risk of any possible damage to electronic controls etc)

The Godfather
I usually do continuity check first as any plugged in equipment shows as low resistance.

I usually do continuity check first as any plugged in equipment shows as low resistance.
Good point binky, always good practice.

My boys did remind me I'd left this piece of valuable information out of my message last night.

regards

The Godfather

Although a continuity test isn`t any good for 2K+ ohms. Min reading on insul is usually 10K. Ordinary, bog standard multimeter WILL tell, although we`rew not supposed to use those anymore!!!!

Mind you, why bother when a 50/100/250 test will tell you, without blowing stuff!???