Insurance Advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorFish

Reaction score
Greetings Folks

Im currently doing level 3 .

Im self employed but not as an electrician (yet)

Got an enquiry today to replace, like for like, a number of flourescent lights in a school.

My first question is can i legally do this even though Im not part of a scheme?

My second question is - I have Public Liability insurance but not as an electrician...would I still be covered??

I will be contacting my insurance company tomorrow regarding the 2nd question.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

Cheers

P

My first question is can i legally do this even though Im not part of a scheme?
That would depend on the school. Although part p doesn;t apply you may find it is a requirement that you are part of a scheme regardless.

My second question is - I have Public Liability insurance but not as an electrician...would I still be covered??
What does it cover you as?

Greetings Poorfish,

Q1. You don't need to join a scam..... Oooops sorry...scheme to carry out commercial/industrial work.

Q2. Your insurance will not cover you for electrical work, you need to change it .

Deke

It says type of insurance - Package for Tradesmen and Professionals

T

It says type of insurance - Package for Tradesmen and ProfessionalsT
I think it's something you can only confirm with your insurance company, policies vary wildly.

It says type of insurance - Package for Tradesmen and Professionals
Sounds quite vague. Mine specifically lists single and 3 phase domestic and commercial electrical, telecommunications and security systems.

As far as I know you have to specify that you are an electrical contractor . Ican't see a general one like that giving you the proper cover .

Bit like saying you have Ford Cortina but really its a Ferrari .

Sounds quite vague. Mine specifically lists single and 3 phase domestic and commercial electrical, telecommunications and security systems.
My insurance is just outlined as Lurch has said.

If you are insured only for say domestic, then you do an industrial installtion your insurance will not cover you.

The way I negotiate any insurance cover is to tell them in writing what I do and what I want.

If they come back with a package that suits all well and good.

Think of it this way, if and when you need to make a claim, every statement you have given will be used against you to negate the liability of the insurance company to pay out.

This is how insurance companies make money, they know you will make mistakes in filling out the forms and will use those mistakes to prevent you from claiming.

can someone explain to me what prof indemnity is for?I dont have it and was wondering if I should get some.
For Advice given..

as compared to works carried out..

e.g.

Customer disputes your guidance from a PIR...

No actual work carried out just advice given..

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, so , really if I do PIR's then I should get some,blimey, its about 3times the price for about 1/8 of the cover......
Thats the general gist of it...

someone claiming professional advice or guidance you gave was negligent.

I renewed mine in December..

Pub Liab

Prof Imd

&

Tools cover

just under

Evening

Spoke to insurance company today and basically as long as this type of work was less than 5% of what I do(!!??!!) then it would be ok.Never heard a statement like that before but thats what i was told.

Another condition was that it should have nothing to do with fire alarms or include any 3 phase work.

To include/change to an domestic electrician on my policy would only cost an extra

I'd be a bit careful as they could turn round and say it's 3 phase as it's fed from a 3 phase origin (which it most likely is). As mentioned, insurance companies will do anything they can to say you weren;t covered.

I'd class it as commercial work.

Is this directly to the school or via the LA? All depends on their requirements regarding the amount of liability required.

Its all directly through the school.

Appreciate what your saying Lurch.

Will pop around this week and find out what amount of liability is required.

From what i was initially told, all they were asking for was "Public Liability"!

When you go to any job the main question about insurance is your public liabilty.

Until a week ago I had 10 million public liability because the contracts I was after said that was the minimum.

Every job they have offered me was a minimum of 5 million, so I quickly cancelled the extra un needed 5 mill.

Another insurance I have is pro indemnity, this covers me for design, advise and the like, as stated above good if you do pir,s or design any installations.

Another insurance I have is Tax protection and incidental professional indemnity this covers me should a fire alarm or intruder alarm I install fails to activate and the fault was traced to my bad workmanship or neglect.

Another insurance I have is Tax protection and incidental professional indemnity this covers me should a fire alarm or intruder alarm I install fails to activate and the fault was traced to my bad workmanship or neglect.
yeah this was mentioned as something i couldnt do on current policy.

I thought there was something else just couldnt remember it