Intruder Alarm Recomendations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Morning all.

I hope everyone is well.

Quick question.

I have a large residential property we a currently rewiring. We don't usually install intruder alarm systems, but on this particular job we seem to be doing everything. Literally.

Anyway. I require a mid range wired system, 1 Control box, 2 remote Keypads, 20 Pet tolerant PIR's, 6 Door contacts & 1 Bell box.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

GS

BTW. I like the new look forum. Excellent.

That's a lot of PIRs on one system, can you reduce the number or did an insurance clot specify it?

The insurance might also insist on a grade of system, monitoring etc.

If it's a huge house beware of voltage drop on the longer runs, might need a separate PSU to share the load/boost the voltage.

Maybe look for panels that use expanders - you can run just one cable to an expander then 6 or so detectors off that instead of running them all back the panel.

Also doors that aren't used as an entry/exit might be covered by one of the PIRs anyway.

The less stuff you install the less there is to go wrong & customers will call at 4am 6 years later to curse you for disturbing their sleep :C

For the same reason I wouldn't skimp on the quality of the PIRs, you can get really cheap ones (they don't know the difference) but getting called out to false alarms isn't much fun. Stick with reputable brands (pyronix, scantronic, risco, visonic).

These guys seem reasonable, as do these mentioned above.

Hope that helps

That's great, cheers guys. The Texecom stuff looks pretty good. Iv'e used the galaxy kit before with the firm I used to work for. Programming was a little tricky, plus I don't have the software.

GS