Intruder alarm - Siren

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dambo

Reaction score
Why does the external sounder continue to sound when the mains power and battery have been disconnected?

Disconnected a Bentley F133 burglar alarm today, on request, and the external siren went off and continued for ages. Do they have a built-in battery back-up?

Cheers

Yes they do. Like should shut up after 20 mins max. Sent from my Desire Z
It was a lot longer than that, it was well over an hour. It's an old alarm though so that might be why.

Cheers

Why does the external sounder continue to sound when the mains power and battery have been disconnected?
cause its a security system, you'd be rather disappointed if you got robbed & came home to find the mains turned off & panel battery removed....

Yeah the older ones didn't have to comply with that ruling. The Sent from my Desire Z
Thats not really correct. Older systems did not have shut off/ reset timers but ALL systems regardless of age must have them (by some bylaw, i think its noise pollution) and the maximum time is 15 minutes. It changed from 20 at least 10 years ago.

I am surprised the thing still works if its that old, most of that age dont.

It probably didn't like being disconnected from panel. I never understand why people take out alarm systems rather than maintain them. I remember had a customer did CU change alarm goes of told customer she needs new battery but didn't want to spend the money. Anyway when she rang me while i was on holiday because the alarm was going off she didn't get a lot of sympathy.

I did a mains change last year and the bell box musta went for over 4 hours........

I was in the cellar so it was just a faint drone to me, but I bet the neighbours were going mad, :slap

Latest posts