IP ratings for 3 phase distribution board

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maselec

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just carried out the remedial works from a EICR on a small industrial unit ( I didn't carry out the EICR). The 3 phase board had tails entering through seperate holes on the bottom, which was coded as a 2 due to possible eddy currents. I remedied this by cutting out the gap between two of the holes and feeding all the tails through the bigger hole, to which I fitted a grommet strip. I installed blind bushes and locknuts in the two remaining holes.

Based on the advice of an 'electrician relative', the manager has now questioned the suitablity of the new hole, saying it does not comply. My understanding is the top & sides of the board must be IP 4X (not be able to be penetrated by an item 1mm wide and 100mm long) and IP 2X on the underside (that you must not be able to penetrate with your finger, which you can't, not even a small amount).

Can anyone please point me to the relevant regs regarding this, as I seem to be struggling to find anything clear.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Or cut a strip of paxolin nut & bolt over your new cutout & drill paxolin with individual holes for tails.

Yup, what reptilian Reg said.

if its a factory that just stores bricks then I would not see it as a problem

If however it is a woodmill with loads of airborne dust then I would see it as good an idea as , say...for example; dressing as a ginger dwarf, going into a supermarket and putting onions bread and cheese up your jumper. Seemed a good idea at first and then later it became a 'bit of an issue'... :coat

The unit is a storage and distribution centre for clothes so no real risk of ingress of anything into the board that would cause problems. Cheers for the regs numbers diddywats, I'll check them out first thing in the morning. Cheers for all replies & advice guys.