IR test on florry without disconnection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norv

Reaction score
Just a quickie, Can you do an insulation test on a fluorescent light at 250V without disconnecting it with P+N joined together. Can you do it at 500V aswell without disconnection ?

Guiness Drink

Funnily enough - That is the very question I asked my Lecturer on Monday last. And his reply was No, you just disconnect the Phase.

Do you guys agree with that?

Cheers for that Admin. The problem with the florrys that are fitted already, they are pre-wired with wires that push in between 2 pins, that sort of cut the insulation & make the connection (if you know what I mean) & then you just wire the t&e into the term block.

I dont fancy having to go round & disconnect each one, there are quite a few & some of them are quite high up.

Norv

In an ideal world you would do as colllege lecturer says but if they are high up I would test p/n to earth on insulation resistance although if you are doing a pir you are going to have to get up to them to do a continuity test anyway but if possible you may be able to do it on a wander lead and only test loop at furthest fitting.

batty

Funnily enough - That is the very question I asked my Lecturer on Monday last. And his reply was No, you just disconnect the Phase.Do you guys agree with that?
Checking a circuit diagram of a flossy, the Boys agrees.

The Boys

(Don's out for the evening)

As batty said you can do the test between L/CPC and N/CPC but if you are doing a PIR you are going to have to take them apart to do an R1/R2 test plus Zs and hope who ever installed them did it correctly if they are high up, can be a right pain CJS

Just a quickie, Can you do an insulation test on a fluorescent light at 250V without disconnecting it with P+N joined together. Can you do it at 500V aswell without disconnection ?
Can I ask why you need to test that far? I would test up to the switch and note on the test certificate that the florries were untested.

I am assuming this is a periodic.....

Can I ask why you need to test that far? I would test up to the switch and note on the test certificate that the florries were untested.I am assuming this is a periodic.....
as in note "Equipment vulnerable to testing" me thinks! ;) :)

NO, you need to join LINE & NEUTRAL together in a block connector(or such like) and test between this and EARTH.

or has been said, put a limitation in the box., thats why its there.

I have to admit Steptoe is correct and your lecturer is wrong ( their only human ( well some of them ))

I advise you read Guidance note 3 which tells you to join L & N and to test between these and E at 500V. No damage will be done and this test should be noted on the paperwork.

Latest posts