is this make trustable for proving something is dead

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ada1

Reaction score
hi

Interested in this instrument to carry out one of the safe isolation procedures, that is proving a circuit is dead.

spotted this on ebay and just wondered if its a reputable make or

if anyone has had them before and could share their views on it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLUKE-T50-UK-VOLTAGE-CONTINUITY-TESTER_W0QQitemZ330402115491QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET?hash=item4ced802fa3

or am i better off getting a martindale one from here

http://www.martindale-electric.co.uk/index.php?products_id=295

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Ada,

I dont own either but I do know Fluke is a very good make and have seen alot of threads on here saying the same. We use the Martindale at college and I personally like it.

IMO

I have a fluke one (T100??) and it is adiquate.

I think you are getting confused with a proving unit and a voltage tester. These are voltage testers. A proving unit is something that supplies a voltage suitable to prove that the voltage tester is working. If you have a proving unit then any voltage testers will be fine as you should test with a proving unit before and after to confirm it is still functioning correctly.

If I was you, I would have a look in your local wholesalers as they may have others and could be models with more features for similar money.

I have the T100 also - Its a good tester. Only downside is that it trips an RCD if testing between live and earth.

There is a way to get round this and that is by testing L-N first for 5 seconds, then you can test L-E without the RCD tripping. Bit of a pain at times but I am told that other testers have similar operation.

Are you not using it to confirm a dead circuit so in which case the MCB should be off and not trip the RCD?

have the T100 also - Its a good tester. Only downside is that it trips an RCD if testing between live and earth. There is a way to get round this and that is by testing L-N first for 5 seconds, then you can test L-E without the RCD tripping. Bit of a pain at times but I am told that other testers have similar operation.
Are you not using it to confirm a dead circuit so in which case the MCB should be off and not trip the RCD?
thats a good point, :D

I still can't get my head round why you want to even consider such a crude instrument that only indicates voltage bands, and is really only any good for proving live or dead.

I don't own such a thing, always using a proper volt meter to measure the actual voltage present with a much greater degree of certainty.

For a much more versatile instrument, for about that price I bought a clamp on AC / DC ammeter that also reads proper AC and DC volts, and resistance in ohms, on a 31/2 digit display.

I still can't get my head round why you want to even consider such a crude instrument that only indicates voltage bands, and is really only any good for proving live or dead.I don't own such a thing, always using a proper volt meter to measure the actual voltage present with a much greater degree of certainty.
Maybe becasue an MFT or similar are fairly large and not so easy to use in tight spaces. Does that help bend your head :p ?

Maybe becasue an MFT or similar are fairly large and not so easy to use in tight spaces. Does that help bend your head :p ?
Yes, but for such tight spaces, I also have a "pen type" hand held meter a bit like that shown in the ebay link above, but it's a full function volt / amp / ohm meter with a 3 digit display.

The bit I can't get my head round is why you want an instrument that tells you it's "about 200V" where for the same size and money you could have one that tells you it's 232V

It also says its live by making a sound so you do not even need to look at it.

The bit I can't get my head round is why you want an instrument that tells you it's "about 200V" where for the same size and money you could have one that tells you it's 232V
I use mine for checking things dead, but also working out which wire goes where etc on a lighting circuit for example.

In this instance it doesn't matter whether the voltage is 221, 247, 258 volts, all I want to know if there is any there or not!

I have means of measuring the actual voltage if it was relevant.

:|

I still can't get my head round why you want to even consider such a crude instrument that only indicates voltage bands, and is really only any good for proving live or dead.I don't own such a thing, always using a proper volt meter to measure the actual voltage present with a much greater degree of certainty.

For a much more versatile instrument, for about that price I bought a clamp on AC / DC ammeter that also reads proper AC and DC volts, and resistance in ohms, on a 31/2 digit display.
youll find that some of the fluke (& other makes) similar to this (i.e T140 and T120) do tell you the actual voltage.

The main reasons that I know off, for using an instrument that can only show voltage is that you can't accidently put it on the wrong range, also people have a habit of blowing the fuses in fused test leads and in the meters by having their meter still on current when measuring voltage. Now I know that the test instrument should be proved before and after checking the circuit you are going to be working on so eliminating faulty gear, but I think it is all about reducing the likelyhood. Not suggesting for one minute that anyone here would make such mistakes.

PS I tend to use my multimeter for proving dead as well, don't tell.

Quite correct Roys.

I have actually had a question as to why you should not Use your multi-meter as a voltage tester.

It was either on my 302 or 303 written exam.